• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Some things I have learned, so far.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Hi Everyone,

I'm the new owner of a 1990 Ericson 32-200. I sailed small boats at summer camps growing up, and this is my first keelboat. I took some classes at Modern Sailing in Sausalito, California and had a good time. I looked at some Mk2 1970's 32's and they all looked like more rehab work than I wanted to take on. My 1990 boat has a Tijuana-fabbed hull (per the title report) but had no blistering at haul-out. I have a Yanmar 3GM30f which has been great for me so far. One of my working theories about vehicles and machinery in general (Toyotas, etc.) is that if you can buy something designed and built in the Japanese heyday of the late 1980's, that's a good call.

In truth, I really only wound up here because of this guy that I found on youtube. He seems like a very experienced sailor and he made sailing to Hawaii from California seem like not that big of a deal. You wake up, make some ham and eggs, check your sails, and read some classics. If he chose an Ericson 32 to get to Hawaii, it must be a decent choice. I'm not kidding at all about this part. I only bought this boat because of Chris' work. I salute you.

So here are some of the (beginner) items I have learned so far.

1. When the owner's manual says "Don't force the handle on a stuck seacock valve" (like, a bronze Gronco one that some PO put in, not original Marelon and you haven't read the manual yet, because you couldn't get signed up for the forum to download it, because of the Russian hackers) that's important. For instance, on your second day of ownership and you've got the boat berthed, and you're trying to understand how the plumbing works, you can crack a big bronze valve that has been inadequately installed, right off of the first couple of threads of your through-hull. Then you have a moment where you say, "I'm on my hands and knees in this nasty head, pretty much about to sink this boat I just bought, after two days of ownership." Wood plugs and prayer. Note to self: Don't pull hard on the handle if it won't move.

2. No one tells you in the youtube videos, (either the ones with pretty women in bikinis in exotic sailing locations, or by earnest mechanically-inclined men) that once you've torn apart your knuckles and forearms and finally managed to change the decrepit oil in you boat engine, and put on a new filter, and you're feeling pleased at having accomplished the task, that is precisely when your transfer pump starts vomiting warm filthy oil all over the sole of your boat. Really, that part is under-documented in the social media. Get a nasty bucket ready.

3. When you buff up your aging cleats with steel wool, they shine ever so much better. But the flakes of steel wool worn off in the process land in micro crevices in your boat deck and within a matter of 18-24 hours produce wonderful rust patterns. Do this buffing on dry days and have a vacuum.

4. On the upside, sailors are the friendliest bunch of people I have ever met. To be fair, I've mostly met casual recreational sailors in Marin County, California, hardly a bastion of nastiness (unless politics are involved). But in general, people are very willing to help.

-Tom

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Välkommen

Welcome to Viking Haven!

If you wander thru the Blogs on this site, there are a lot of entries that closely apply to your model. Occasionally even one of mine. :)
You cannot go wrong reading thru Christian's blogs and threads.

:egrin:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I pulled a #3 soon after acquiring my boat, too. The solution is Scotchbrite pads and bronze wool, never steel wool, and a bottle of a grocery store acid product called Whink which burns rust stains off anything on a boat in a most expedient and satisfying way.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
#3 can be a revelation, too (beyond the horror of steel wool on a boat).

I set out to replace my four big Schaefer dockline cleats. Huge job of difficult access, but they looked shabby. Pitted, dull, an offense to the eye. Also, the current cleats have a different base profile, meaning new holes to be drilled and backing plates fitted.

However! A ruthless 100 grit sanding, a determined attack down to 400 grit, followed bycompounding and wax and--vwäˈlä!

Shiny cleats, like new and it lasts a year.