• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

spinnaker

Bryan Smith

I need a little help here. I have a 1990 32-200 and looking for a used spinnaker but have no idea what size to buy. This is my first sailboat and have no clue about the sail sizing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Bryan

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Before you start shopping, you will need your "I" and "J" measurements, i.e. the size of the foretriange. Is the spinnaker halyard in place already? If so, hoist up a long tape measure (along with a retrieval line in case the tape breaks...) and measure it. Take this information to several sailmakers and ask them for a quick quote. Then you will have some general information to guide you. If their price is good enough, consider buying a new tri-radial and get your choise of colors. Otherwise prowl the marine swap meets and the sailing used gear stores. Sailmakers themselves often have new or traded-in sails at a really good price, also. (Sometimes a customer renegs on a sale, or it was constructed to the wrong measurements...). One good web site for a sailmaking terminology / education section has always been UKSailmakers.
Loren in Portland, OR

My take on a spinnaker is that most people think they look cool and know they will make a boat go faster, but they don't consider what the sail and ancilary hardware will cost and how many more people it will take on the boat to make it all happen. I've had a cruising chute on my boat for years. Unless you are into serious racing, a spinnaker won't help you with anything but making your wallet skinnier. What do YOU think?