• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Spreader boots

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Does anyone make a spreader boot that will fit my wing-like spreaders or do people just make the round ones fit?

Thanks

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
When I was replacing my standing rigging I wanted to do the same and was advised by the rigging company that these guys have them. I assume you are looking for the ones I have pictured. I have never liked the way the other ones fit. I ended up reusing mine but I would try contacting these guys. The rigging co. told me charleston had these.

http://www.charlestonsrigging.com/index.html

www.rigrite.com

Attachments

• Spreader boot.jpg
    Spreader boot.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 88

Guy Stevens

There are even better ones

They are made from ballistic cloth, and are wonderful. A lot easier to apply, and they outlast the leather.

Now where is my source on those........

Guy
:)

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Ted. I have a call(email) into rigrite. Charleston did not know what a spreader boot was. Tried to describe but they never heard of such a thing.
Thomas, I tried looking up that part number at PLastimo but found nothing. Also browsed their web site and found nothing. Do you have a web link?

Guy, those sound great. Hopefully you find that source.

Thanks

Thomas H

Member I
New Product

I hope that you do not get 2 replies. I called PLASTIMO direct,it seems that the other company that used to make boots is going out of business called TEM_ _,the package says 2 SPREADER BOOT-D12MM, REF17064, any retail that sells Plastimo should carry them or can get them. I bought mine @ SVENDSEN'S MARINE,ALAMEDA,CA.(510) 521-8454 for $20.02 for the pair. Plastimo told me that they make different sizes. The 12MM size will work nicely over the upper spreader with 1 stay,and will also fit the lower spreader with 2 stays as well,i was very pleased with the outcome. Hope this helps? Thomas

Dan Callen

Contributing Member III
I have had great luck with the polyester canvas type that are srapped on. They hold up very well and will configure to any spreader tip. APS in Annapolis has them in their catalog And I think Layline has them as well. Dan Callen Ericson 32-3 Andiamo.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
The search continues. Charlestonsrigging never heard of these boots and Rigrite says there was never a boot for the SP3 spreader. I even showed them Ted's photo. I would like to get those originals as they seem to be better for my sails. Indestructible ballistic cloth tells me they will outlast my sails which is not what I want. New headsails are very expensive.

Might be time to fabricate some of my own.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Tom, my local chandlery carries them so I will go check them out today. I have used that type on round spreaders but never really noticed if they would fit aero spreaders.

Howard Keiper

I've used the rubber things on Sea Quest for years. Several years ago I had the mast down for some reason or other and noticed that the stainless rigging wire had done some SERIOUS damage to the tips (aluminum) of the upper spreaders, to the point that the yard had to rebuild them. No problem with the lowers, though.
At any rate, I had some 5mil drafting Mylar from which I made sleeves that fit around the wire and were free to slide up or down in the groove at the tip, and were held in place by the boots. I don't know if that made a difference, but when I looked at my spreaders just last week, after 5yrs., they were perfect. Maybe they would have been so anyway, who knows. Food for thought.
Howard Keiper
Sea Quest
Berkeley