• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Spreader Boots

Steve J

Member I
Does anyone know if OEM style spreader boots are
available? This is for an Olson 34 with Kenyon
SP2 & SP3 spars. I could not find them on the rig rite
site.

Attachments

• spreader boots3008.jpg
    spreader boots3008.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sometime around 5+ years ago I recall contacting them about some replacements and was told that no more were available...
(I have a couple of new-old-stock spares reserved for the day when we spruce up our boat to sell it. ) :rolleyes:
Seriously, after our re-rig a few years ago we never again put anything on those tips. Our rigger believes that most enclosed spreader tips invite moisture and corrosion, and that we are better served by keeping an eye on the genny aloft when cranking it in that last bit.

So far so good, and I have not yet had to patch that genny!
:cool:

The other vital Kenyon vinyl bit that seems to be permanently MIA is that nice molded mast collar boot. I am keeping ours patched with sealant... but it is just barely functional...
:(

Good luck on your search, and I hope that one of the site members has found a new source for this stuff.
A lot of other owners of 80's Ericsons could use these parts, as well.

Best,
Loren

ps: link to prior thread with similar concern: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=3016

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
Canvas?

Those same boots on my 38 were looking pretty tired when I sold her, and probably would not have lasted too many more seasons. Having also failed to find any direct replacements, I was just going to get some of that white canvas they sell and wrap it over the tips. I figured that keeping the canvas in place would probably require a hose clamp, which I was then going to wrap with rigging tape.

I never thought about leaving it bare, as I guess I was worried about the sail contacting the spreader tips during tacks (at least the lower). I bet the origin of those nice spreader boots had more to do with protecting the sails from the seizing wire that folks used to use to hold the spreader in place. The smooth molded retainers on our spreader tips probably wouldn't really be a problem.

Glyn Judson

Spreader sail protectors.

Steve and all, I've had pretty good luck over the years using Harken #285 Sail Chafe Protectors. I placed them on the shrousd atop the spreaders and they stick out just enough to roll the sail right past the spreader ends. Hint: To prevent loosing them (don't ask), snap the two symmetrical halves together and then seize them with monel wire or the like on each of the two spokes. After doing that I never lost another one and the pair I now have been on the boat since the summer of 1995. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I guess that everyone has opinions on this... My rigger looked at me funny when I asked about spreader boots and corrosion. He pointed out that my 24yr old original standing rigging (just replaced) had no signs of corrosion at the spreader contact points so what was I worried about? That and the plastic/rubber boots don't fit the "wing" shape of my spreaders very well at all. The result is there is a nice big air gap on the inside top/bottom of the boot so it breathes nicely while the outside protects the sail. They were on there before with no issues so I put them back. I get enough chafe from the radome, I don't need more from spreaders. Glyn, I would love to use the roller/wheel type you suggest but with two wires at the lower spreader where I need them it won't work. RT

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
Know what else those boots are good for?

Know what else those boots are good for? Spider nests! I swear we must have been housing half the Great Lakes spider population in our spreader boots. I finally started enclosing a small piece of bug strip inside the boot when I would tape it on, and that kept them away.

I also put a piece of bug strip inside the masthead to keep the spiders up there from building such big webs that they would immobilize the wind instrument (which happened several years in a row).

I did mention that I hate spiders?

obiwanrazzy

Member II
Funny, I just logged in to ask the same question.

Just noticed yesterday that one of my boots went missing sometime since the last time I was down to the boat. I always wondered about the way the seem to not fit so well on the spreader tips...

So is it the same story with the E27?

I was planning on getting a new pair sometime in the next year and have them put on when I re-rig next. Maybe a little anhydrous lanolin under the boot, especially where the shrouds contact the spreader would keep the corrosion down?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I have always used them. I also tried to find them at rigrite. They were very rude about it when they said no such things even though I had the originals in my hands.

The shrouds show no signs of corrosion under the boots nor do they look any different at all.

Anyone ever hear of a shroud breaking at this point? I think your swages will give up long before the wire breaks in the middle.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
I think the concerns about corrosion under the boots are due to people who go a little crazy with the rigging tape and make the boot *nearly* watertight. On our old boat, the wet (and depending where you are perhaps a little salty) areas combined with stainless wire and aluminum spreader tips rotted out a couple of the spreader tips - the wire was fine though.

On our current boat, when we re-rigged I made sure I tucked all the siezing wire ends where they wouldn't cause mischief, as well as used a little bit of lanolin for good measure. I've been planning to put on boots now for over two years, and just haven't gotten around to it. I'm beginning to think I won't bother... our spreader tips have no rough edges sticking out from them, and seem to not be causing any problems with our headsail nor our asymetrical. Your spreader tips may vary. :)

Last edited: