• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Spreader question

Shamwari

Please Contact Admin.
This may sound like a dumb question but I've been struggling with it for some time. I need to know which way the spreaders on a 39 attach. I think the round edge should face forward with the trailing edge being sharper, but this is because an airplane wing does it that way and may not be the rationale to determine orientation.
They were on the other way when I got the boat and I put them back on that way yesterday getting ready to have the mast reinstalled.

Last night I figured I better find out for sure and after searching the internet realized nobody takes photos of 39 spreaders - or at least I can't find them.

Does anyone know if it matters on the 39? I don't think it changes where the ends are positioned as they aren't really swept back, they just have the sharper edge tapered in toward the tip by about 3/4 inch.
Mine are aluminum and bolt to brackets welded on the mast.

On the positive side, after working on the boat for a month and a half after work it will be ready to go back in the water this weekend. I'm looking forward to sailing rather than sanding.

John Gleadle

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Anecdotal evidence.... I once paid a little extra for "airfoil" spreaders on a new rig on a Ranger 20 I was racing. Like any wing, the blunt edge was forward and the thinner trailing edge was aft.
That's the way I recall see them on any other boats I chanced to look at.
:confused:

Loren

stillwater

Member II
Spreader

Hi John,

I would think maybe the tapered edge aft. Possible reason not to wear the halyards (and spreader) as much? Although not the same mast manufacturer (Hood) my spreaders are the same both sides. There is some wearing on the lead edge from wire halyards and I put a wear strip here.

I don't think the airfoil shape is going to make much difference upwind!!

I also am launching this Friday and putting the mast in.

Regards,
Dal
E39 "Stillwater"

Guy Stevens

Fat Edge Forward

Fat edge goes forward!

I took a photo for you, but from deck you really can't see much.

Have Fun
Guy
:)

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Yeah - like the others - fat edge forward, and tilt them up slightly before you tighten everything up...

//sse

Sven

Seglare
It's the outer end that need tilting up slightly.

It should bifurcate the angle if it is a single shroud. If there is more than one shroud it gets a bit more complicated but the objective is to make the spreader see _only_ compressive loads.

-Sven

Like, man, I knew this cat who used the word "bifurcate" one time when I was in the Army, man. They took him out, put him in front of a firing squad, man, and shot him at dawn. Dangerous stuff, that. You dig?

Morgan Stinemetz

Sven

Seglare
Like, man, I knew this cat who used the word "bifurcate" one time when I was in the Army, man. They took him out, put him in front of a firing squad, man, and shot him at dawn. Dangerous stuff, that. You dig?

But the spreader was still happy !

-Sven

u079721

Contributing Partner
For the spreaders it's the fat end in front.......

But for the boat, it's the pointy end in front and the slimy side down!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
If I bifurcate tonight, Will I respect myself in the morning?

If I bifurcate tonight, Will I respect myself in the morning?

Attachments

• bifurcate.jpg
    bifurcate.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 50