• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Spreader shift

TorMar

Member II
Our E34 has had the lower starboard spreader shift upward about three to four inches on the standing rigging. When looked at from the front or back, she looks distinctly askew.
Is this something that can be easily adjusted?
Our marina - Point Roberts - has a mast tower which gives access to any part of the rigging.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Tor

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Yes. You should go up there and seize the shrouds to the spreaders at a consistent angle. The rigger at the boatyard should be able to either do this for you or assist you.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Make sure you're adjusting the right spreader -- keep in mind that the spreader is supposed to be a few degrees above horizontal to bisect the angle of the shroud. The force on the spreader is supposed to be equal from above or below so there's no bowing.

Guy Stevens

Spreaders are spars, compression only please

The hold the mast up, and need to always be in compression.

To be in compression they need to bisect the load on them. This means that the angle above and below them need to be identical... Then you seize them with a turn or two (Not 50!) of good stranded seizing wire to the shrouds.

The easiest tool for this is a bevel gauge. You can get one for about $2.00 at any hardware.... I have one from the early 1900's made by Stanley, but the new plastic ones work just as well.

Guy
:)

jgarmin098

Member II
I discovered the cause of this exact situation on my 32-3 to be the tang? that the spreader fits over at its base. Over time, the tang? got bent slightly upwards when the mast was stored out of the boat for the winter. With shrouds removed, I gently pulled down on the spreader and bent the tang? back into position. (The mast was out of the boat for the winter when I did this...)

Some others mention seizing the shrouds to the spreader ends. I once did this before the mast was stepped. The starboard upper was seized so well the riggers were unable to pull it down to the chainplate. When I arrived that evening to check their work I found the upper unattached. I had to go up to the lower spreader to free the seizing wire, not a fun trip I'll tell you.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
This question has always bugged me. It's kind of hard to tell how much, if any, upward angle there is in my spreaders when viewing them from the dock; even when trying to view them from the next dock over to try to get a better view angle. They appear to be horizontal; not angled up at all. Below is a picture of the lower spreaders on my E30+. The design of the attachment point at the mast seems to negate any ability to angle the spreaders upward. How DO you angle the spreaders upward in this case?

Attachments

• Rig_ 009.jpg
    Rig_ 009.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 44

tenders

Innocent Bystander
This question has always bugged me. It's kind of hard to tell how much, if any, upward angle there is in my spreaders when viewing them from the dock; even when trying to view them from the next dock over to try to get a better view angle. They appear to be horizontal; not angled up at all. Below is a picture of the lower spreaders on my E30+. The design of the attachment point at the mast seems to negate any ability to angle the spreaders upward. How DO you angle the spreaders upward in this case?

Assuming the shrouds are not too tightly seized to the spreaders (which is why they shouldn't be tightly seized), you loosen the shroud, snap the main halyard shackle around the shroud at the deck, attach a retriever line, and gently crank up the halyard until you ease the spreader into the proper position. It may help to bump the outer tip of the spreader with a boathook, if you can reach it.

Then you tighten the shroud and it pins the spreader into place.

We're talking, like, five degrees above horizontal--half the angle made between the shroud and mast at the top of the mast. It's imperceptible from the deck, usually, but it can mean the difference between a properly supported mast and a broken spreader...or worse.