• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

ST4000+ Autopilot Control head/Computer and Fluxgate Compass

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Just listed these on ebay. Please let me know if you have questions:

Please see the ad. My boat didn't have the wheel drive part of the autopilot so I can't vouch that that part works.
The display turns on and the compass sends a good signal.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Sorry, yes. Sold in 45 minutes to a guy it seems is a used marine electronics dealer. It was a give-away price for $100 for the compass and the control head. I have never attached it to a functional wheel drive so I could not vouch for that part of the functionality.

debonAir

Member III
I have a working ST4000 fluxgate compass and a working except for the LCD display ST4000 control head. I'd donate these to someone here that needs one.

Ron342

Member I
Hello DebonAir
Still have the compass and dead head unit?
I have a nearly new drive and was looking to put it together?

debonAir

Member III
Hello DebonAir
Still have the compass and dead head unit?
I have a nearly new drive and was looking to put it together?
I do, and I found the wired remote control unit in the nav desk, I think I still have the plug for it some place. The head unit works fine, but the LCD is busted. I think you can get the LCD replaced for $200 or so.. look on e-bay. Note this is an old ST4000, not the +. If you message me maybe we can work something out to get the parts to you. I also have the wheel drive out now, but it was getting really wonky and was the primary reason I replaced it. And I also have a 600 year supply of replacement belts.

Note that yesterday I got to finally test the replacement autopilot which is a new Ray Marine EV-1 system. It is a LOT better than the ST4000 in all ways. In the install, I found that the drive cable to the wheel motor from the control unit is the same cable as the ST4000 and the motors are compatible so I left the original cable in place saving some weaving through the boat. If I where you, I'd look at getting an ev-100 and p70 to use with your nearly new drive instead of going back-in-time to when autopilots couldn't handle sailing downwind or waves. You'd also get good integration with the chart plotter and then phone apps, etc.

Ron342

Member I
Thanks DebonAir!
And sorry to take so long! I have been painfully removing 35 or so 1/4" ss screws, (some wringing) holding down each leaking jib track on my e29 and was too flagged to read email!
The drive I have is a mk 1 drive and, I've learned, is supposedly not as hardy as the later mk2. I was looking to put it together with a simple head unit to try mainly to see if it was going to be something I liked and really used without putting a lot of money and installation in the process. (as opposed to just another boating gadget) I think I would rarely use it here on the Chesapeake in heavier weather anyway as we have a lot of crab pots, debris, even the sea kayak folk, etc that hide in wave troughs.
My email is ron342@comcast.net if that is more convenient. I'll look at the screen repair and whatever you find of the parts would be appreciated.
Ron
Thanks again and sorry to take so long! I have been painfully removing 35 or so 1/4" ss screws, (some wringing) holding down each leaking jib track on my e29 and was too flagged to read email!
The drive I have is a mk 1 drive and, I've learned, is supposedly not as hardy as the later mk2. I was looking to put it together with a simple head unit to try mainly to see if it was going to be something I liked and really used without putting a lot of money in the process. (as opposed to just another boating gadget) I think I would rarely use it here on the Chesapeake in heavier weather anyway as we have a lot of crab pots, debris, even sea kayaks, etc that hide in wave troughs.
My email is ron342@comcast.net if that is more convenient. I'll look at the screen repair and whatever you find of the parts would be great.
Ron

debonAir

Member III
Sorry Ron, I had put the stuff on ebay and it sold already. You'll be better off without it though. It was getting painful to even think about for me.