• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Standing Rigging Replacement

dsdemarest

Member I
I am planning on pulling my mast to address some corrosion issues before they go from minor to major. At same time we will do a full inspection of the standing rigging and update wiring. Given the age of the boat (and as far as I know the rigging is original), should I arbitrarily replace all of the rigging? She has always been in the Pacific Northwest. Thanks.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yup, it's Time

Your Profile indicates that you have an '86 boat.
At over a quarter century, I would say that your rig is on borrowed time.

Time for new wire and probably turnbuckles. (We have an '88 boat and replaced the whole rigging gang in '02.)

Lucky you! -- Sounds like you boat in the Sound area and could get your rig from Brion Toss. He spoke to our group at the Ericson Rendezvous in Pt Townsend a few years ago. He's a pretty sharp feller, as my engineer father would have said, back in the day.

Regards,
Loren

paul culver

Member III
I had the original rigging replaced on my 1977 e29 last year. The rigger said 15 years was his rule of thumb for rigging life span. He also said my turnbuckles were recalled many many years ago. I had the mast repainted at the same time because the paint was bubbling and flaking off, especially along both sides of the main sail track.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Matey

Member III
I am planning on pulling my mast to address some corrosion issues before they go from minor to major. At same time we will do a full inspection of the standing rigging and update wiring. Given the age of the boat (and as far as I know the rigging is original), should I arbitrarily replace all of the rigging? She has always been in the Pacific Northwest. Thanks.

My vote would be .. yes. And inspect the rig throughout. My standing rigging was replaced a year before I bought my boat. A year after I bought it I had to drop the stick for other work. Upon my re-inspection I found two spreader tips with enough corrosion we had to cut off 1/2". The PO likely just asked someone to replace the standing rigging. Which I suppose they did. Loosing a rig and the resulting damage (deck structure, hull & sails) not to mention something happening to family or crew is not worth it. There is allot involved in wire's real lifespan.
Also, a big A+ for Brion Toss in Port Townsend. I worked with him and his people for a few weeks a while back on a friend's project. He is a great guy and excellent rigger.

Regards, Greg