• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Steering Cable Maintenance

eknebel

Member III
I looked through my pictures, which are less organized than most lockers on the boat! I found quadrant pictures, but was unable to find a picture that shows the cables from the top. But, from memory, yours looks very similar. I will take a picture Wednesday am, to aid in your decision making.

eknebel

Member III
eknebel said:
33047[/ATTACH]yours looks very similar. I will take a picture Wednesday am, to aid in your decision making.
Yours is the same as mine, but it looks like your cable is a few inches shorter. If your cable has fish hooks, replace sooner than later

Attachments

• 5A8EFC2E-1372-456D-A91D-12604D2BCA93.jpeg
    5A8EFC2E-1372-456D-A91D-12604D2BCA93.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 11

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yours is the same as mine, but it looks like your cable is a few inches shorter. If your cable has fish hooks, replace sooner than later
We are getting away from "bilge" stuff, but I note that a couple weeks ago I had our steering cables replaced. There were some small meat hooks, and this was the very last of the "rigging" dating back to when the boat was built in 1988.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Thanks Ed, Yours looks good, not sure why there is a difference in the length or if that is an issue. Did not feel any fish hooks on the cable but mine has a bunch of tape wrapped around it too. Is yours the original cable ?

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
We are getting away from "bilge" stuff, . . .

Agree that this would be good info to capture in a separate thread.

Loren and Christian -

Since the forum move was relatively recent, I don't know if you've tried but splitting individual posts into a new separate thread is relatively easy now that the forum is on Xen Foro. Go to your moderator tools in the lower left corner of the thread page, highlight the posts to create the new thread with, and follow the prompts in the lower left of your screen.

If hesitant to mess up an active thread, you can set up a test thread with a bunch of dummy posts to practice.

Regards,
Bob

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks Bob.
I had not really noticed the little box way down at the bottom. Different location than the old site software.
(Habits! ..... many years ago when we had two cats, it always took them a while to (complaining...) to adjust to any change in location for the food or water dish!) :rolleyes:

Also, attached is a picture of the top of the binnacle before we put the compass and lever piece back on. Note the two pieces of light line that were led down thru the sheaves to maintain the crossing path inside the column. Sorry about the sprawling piece of compass wiring -- it gets led around the base of the compass support as the compass and the top night-light piece is attached.
Some additional luck was finding that the "shoe" on the brake was in very good condition.

Attachments

• O-34 Steering, 3-20JPG.JPG
    O-34 Steering, 3-20JPG.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited: