• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Steering Wheel Cover

JSM

Member III
Looks like it's going to be a looong winter here in Chicago. Thinking of bringing the wheel home and stitching on a leather wheel cover. Has anyone done anything other than the Edson cover ?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Some info here, spanning several years.

brett.kessler

I used Colorwheelz on my '76 Ericson 32-2 and LOVE it!!! It's lasted 10 years and still looks/feels great. I'll be doing it again on the 38-200 we just bought.

1976 32-2
1988 38-200

Sail Ontario
Charters, Lessons, Rentals
Sackets Harbor, NYColor Wheelz.jpg

patrscoe

Member III
I have sewed a pre-made leather cover on my wheel last winter. I had one or two on my previous sailboats. Gives me a little more grip and a slightly better feel on the wheel. I would recommend it. Takes a weekend to sew it up.

Reactions: JSM

Kevin A Wright

Member III
My old E27 came with the wheel whipped with white nylon cord. Looked very nautical and would not be hard to do. Did have the advantage of having the knot at top dead center so you knew what the rudder position was (was my first boat with a wheel vs a tiller and I had a bit of a learning curve retraining all those brain cells).
But eventually I cut it off. It rains a lot in these parts, even in summer, and unlike the bare stainless it stayed wet a long time. Your hands would start to prune and get cold. So its been straight stainless ever since.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
My old E27 came with the wheel whipped with white nylon cord...
...But eventually I cut it off. It rains a lot in these parts, even in summer, and unlike the bare stainless it stayed wet a long time. Your hands would start to prune and get cold. So its been straight stainless ever since.
I had coxcombing, the rope work Kevin describes, on my wheel, but don't remember a pruning problem. My problem was dirt. The solution I found was to paint it with white acrylic house paint. It looked like new and didn't absorb water. Some years later when it started to look a little shabby I painted it again.