• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Stern Deck Rail seating

Gary Bice

Hi all,
I have a 1986 30+. I am a very casual day sailor interested in installing some rail deck seats. Someone recommended the Zarcor Solutions seats. Has anyone had any experience with that company or any other? All thoughts and comments are welcome. Thanks.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi. Because the stern of the 30+ is pretty narrow I would think that adding seats to the stern rail would take up a ton of space and interfere with movement back there. Maybe you could build flip up seats?

I would actually recommend having the stern rail modified. Our 1984 30+ came with an aftermarket stern rail with built in seating. This is very nice because it does not interfere with anything. You can have two people sitting behind the helmsman without interfering with them much. It does put you a bit far from the wheel but you can steer by foot in mild conditions. It would likely be a more expensive option but one to consider. It’s a nice upgrade.

it’s hard to see in the photo but I added a brace under each seat to reduce flex in the stern rail. These serve as excellent handholds when climbing up and down he stern ladder.

I’ll try to get a better photo of the seats next time I am at the boat.

Attachments

• 528C3E3A-6127-458D-8AE9-366E8B6414BB.jpeg
    528C3E3A-6127-458D-8AE9-366E8B6414BB.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 58

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
There's a thread or blog or post with pics somewhere on here of someone's very professional looking seats that they made themselves. Wish I could be more help.

Mr. Scarlett

Member III

Here it is!

windblown

Member III
We added the Zarcor stern rail seats last year, and added their cushions this season. They had the specs on file for Ericson 32-3, and the installation was very simple. They are very popular seats with crew and guests, and my favorite for cruising. One of the seats has warped just a tiny bit, but I think that’s because I should have cut another 1/4” off the support leg when installing. The cushions are exceptionally well made.