• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Stock 35-3 Rudder soon to be for Sale

Doug177

Member III
I am upgrading to the Cal 40 Style Schumacher Rudder over the Winter to improve handling in Summer Racing.
Finco is building the new rudder now. Just thought I would put this out in advance.
Existing Rudder and Post are fresh-water pure and in great shape.

A couple of weepy blisters crop up toward the bottom sometimes at haul-out.
They are drilled and drained all winter if they show up. Then filled with Epoxy in the Spring
and barrier coated before putting back in water. No signs of de-lamination. Rudder is remarkably
light.

Muskegon Michigan. We can use the Finco new rudder box to ship it to you.

Attachments

• rudder-1.jpg
    rudder-1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 25
  • rudder-2.jpg
    rudder-2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 24
  • rudder-3.jpg
    rudder-3.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 24

garryh

Member III
I SO wish I could make this work on my 35-2... but nowhere close.
The original rudders on the 35-2 are simply silly. Horrible design, horrible performance. And backing up takes years off your life ; |
This is not my boat (and apologies to whoever's boat it might be... ) ...but just look at the silly little thing. And raked aft makes it worse. And the distance from the prop especially with mid-engine, with the shaft angled downwards, makes it way worseR than that : |
Who could ever have possibly thought this was a good idea..? they should be embarrassed.
Rant over.

Attachments

• 35-2 rudder (2).jpg
    35-2 rudder (2).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 10

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If it helps to contemplate the (worse) misery of others.... the C&C "scimitar" rudder shape in the 70's was even .... worse....

By the late 70's - early 80's most designers were changing their rudder shapes a lot. By the 80's most of the rudder profiles look, to my untrained eye, about like what we see now on new boats.

BTW, there is a modern "Cal 40 style" rudder on a red E-35-2, pictured somewhere on this site. Said to be a Schumacher design, and it looks similar to the rudder on our Olson.
And.... Ah Ha. A search in my iPhoto collection finds a copy! I saved the picture because it is just a really pretty boat.

Attachments

• E-35-2 Commotion.jpg
    E-35-2 Commotion.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

garryh

Member III
nope, does not help : )
But I will commiserate with the 'scimitar' owners... : )
It is my understanding (please correct me if I am wrong) but the builders simply cheaped out with the 35-2 rudder and used the rudder from the 32 to save a few bucks (thereby causing a great deal of anxiety and misery! )

Doug177

Member III
Well Garry, the Finco people in Santa Ana will build you a new Schumacher designed rudder for your 35-2. A couple of 35-2's that have one in Chicago say that it really improves the handling. They don't leave home without it.

Doug