• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Storage/Mooring in CA

Marinarius

Member I
Hello;

If one were interested in an Ericson 32, what would the storage/mooring costs be in CA? (within 500nm of San Diego)

Could one save money storing on land for part of the year?

(Searching online shows about $500 per month)

Thanks
James

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Without a trailer it's hard to move a 32 to a remote, cheaper, storage lot. So we're stuck with boatyards and county facilities.

Marina del Rey isn't cheap:

SLIP SIZE:BASIC MONTHLY RATE:
30′$635.25
33′$646.80
35′$816.90
37′$829.50
38′$937.65
39′$962.52
40′$1,086.75

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
For a bit less expensive option at a very nice marina (and the closest take-off point for Catalina) consider Holiday Harbor Cabrillo Marina:

1593906755251.png

The Ericson 32 should be fine in a 30 foot slip.

Marinarius

Member I
I was looking for a place to park this ...

Seems almost too good to be real. It looks like a Ericson 32-3 but they weren't made in 1984. And the pictures are professional quality with a copyright watermark. Looks similar, dare I say, identical to this ad....

Could it be the purchaser is forced to sell? Maybe the moorage is a burden?

Or some other explanation ;)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looks like the same boat, but at two very different prices. I wonder what the back story might be?

Marinarius

Member I
The back story? I am waiting for a reply.

I have seen pictures scooped from YW and posted on free sites for half the price, the "seller" will accept a deposit via ebay or some such nonsense, and deliver it for $1 a mile.

However, a few weeks ago I narrowly missed out on a 1986 Pearson 33-2 (comparable to Ericson 32-200) for $7500. Similar condition, with everything including air conditioning. I spent to much time on due diligence & contingencies around covid. The offer stayed in my outbox while I firmed up multiple options for mooring, insurance, delivery captain, etc.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Fate works in your favor sometimes. Those Pearson's had a problem with wet decks due to a poor manufacturing decision to use rubber gaskets under the stanchion bases rather than sealant. The rubber breaks down and water gets in - surveyors all seem to know about it. The actual hull-to-deck joint is not as strong as the Ericson, either.
Everything is fixable of course, but there's a cost in time and $.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'd telephone the broker. They'll tell why the boat is listed below market value.

These are trying times.

Marinarius

Member I
I have decided against a boat in CA due the the mooring costs. I was able to find east coat mooring for the Pearson for $1200 per year!

If I may be so bold Christian, you could save nearly $10,000 per year if you store your boat here....

Only an hours drive from Athens, round trip airfare $600, you're still ahead.

A boat named Thelonious, sailing to the Agean. That would make a great video!

Marinarius

Member I
Thanks All! In fact the rates are not outrageous, when I am occupying & using the slip. But as a snowbird I would spend 3-5 months on the boat and then 7-9 months back in Polar Bear country. $3-600 per month for what amounts to a parking spot seems wasteful.

I am looking into Christian's trailer suggestion, as a trailer could pay for itself quickly and there are 12' x 35' RV spots for $60/mo. not far from the coast.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Is that florescent lighting in the salon...port and starboard edges of ceiling? Interesting idea anyway....

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Hello;

If one were interested in an Ericson 32, what would the storage/mooring costs be in CA? (within 500nm of San Diego)

Could one save money storing on land for part of the year?

(Searching online shows about $500 per month)

Thanks
James
I have not sailed out of there in a while but Channel Islands Harbor (Oxnard) which is more north (but still well within 500 mi of San Diego) has much cheaper slip fees than most LA or Orange County Marinas. There are a number of nice marinas in that harbor and if you decide to sail you are within 11nm of Anacapa and a little bit further to Santa Cruz Island.

Channel Islands also has a dry dock boat marina. Last time I checked there was a waiting list but who knows ? Don't even try Newport Beach in OC. I was a club member there for a while and slip fees are astronomical (higher than San Francisco).

Another smaller harbor to check out is Dana Point which puts you closer to San Diego. It is in OC. I have not checked prices but I wonder if it is expensive because of it's proximity to Newport Beach. I am not aware of a dry marina there.

fool

Member III
These are the rates for the San Diego Mooring Company if you can manage floating storage. You'll need a dinghy and shoreside parking is metered at A3/A4 with a two hour time limit. There is generally a short waiting list depending on the mooring area. A1 is bouncy from the exposure and commercial traffic, A2 has the longest waitlist. A4 doesn't have a dinghy dock and tourist youth play on the beached dinghies; you'll need rubber boots at this location as the tide zone can be long when the tide is out. Rates are otherwise affordable:

Marinarius

Member I
I spoke to the previous broker, althogh she was a little uncertain which yacht as "she sells a lot of Ericsons". She said it was sold about a year ago and was in decent shape except the sails were about done.

When I explained that her price was 27K and todays price is 11K, here first remark was "oh my, did it run aground" !