• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Stove repalcement

lloyd

I have a 1985 Ericson 30+ with a galley stove that two burner with oven pressure kerosene stove. The tank is rusted out stove has not be use in 5 or 6 years what should I do? Can I get a tank for the kerosene stove? should I replace the stove with a propane stove? what size stove? where do I place the propane tank? how much will it cost? what problems will I run into?
Thanks
Lloyd

Bob Ells

Member I
Lloyd, My knowledge in this area is limited to my experience with non-pressurized alcohol however I have learned from others that there are some replacement parts available for some of the kerosene stoves. It would help to know the stove/oven manufacturer. You might also try an intenet search based on the manufacturers name - my be some help there. Bob Ells

Glyn Judson

Kerosene stove question

2-21-01, 0718 Lloyd, The kerosene stove is a fine unit if you're patient and are willing to give it a little attention from time to time. You can get a replacement tank from West Marine. See it on page 774 in their 2000 Master Catalog. The cups under the burners need to be filled with denatured alcohol in order to preheat the kerosene so as to gasify it. On a cold day, it may take more than one cup filling to heat the kerosene properly, usually two is all you'll ever need. The kerosene stove and its care and feeding can be a minor pain, but it's a salty way to cook. A replacement propane stove (I did just that on our current boat) can get a bit pricey. I ended up getting a 2 burner Force 10 stove with broiler and oven. As I recall, the price tag for that was around $800 at the time. Add to that a USCG approved propane tank locker, page 670 at $199.99 and propane sniffer and control switch, page 671for $298.99 and the kerosene stove starts to look pretty good. I had a Force 10 kerosene heater in our previous boat and had a lot of luck using an old discarded Joy liquid soap bottle to in which to keep and disperse the alcohol. So, roll up your sleeves, check the bruners for crud from the rusty tank, clean them if necessary, fill and pressurize the new tank, prime and light your self-repaired new kerosene stove and step back to proudly admire your handywork. Good luck Glyn Judson