• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Strange little sea creatures (Salish Sea)

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I did a one hour 'dive' on the boat the other day to prep it for haul-out. I have to motor/sail for about 3.5 hours to the haulout facility so I usually scrape the bottom clean before the trip. The prop and a good part of the shaft were completely invisible and covered in a glob of mussels and growth. Much of the keel too.

When I came out of the water, my usually black wet suit looked like it was half covered in reddish brown sludge. When I took a closer look, the sludge was moving...I was covered with little sea creatures clinging to everything I had on. Anyone know what these are?

20220511_074621.jpg

They were difficult to remove while alive and clinging, but after a day or two of dying and drying out, they fell off with a quick shake. I've done several dives in the past, both summer and winter, but have never encountered these before.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Well, at least they are small, and don't seem to bite, and don't live long outside a seawater environment. How they stand up to masks and social distancing has yet to be determined.

Scott B.

Those little creatures are called skeleton shrimp, but they are not actually shrimp, they're a type of amphipod (like beach hoppers).

Stuphoto

Member III
That females behavior sounds a lot like my last girlfriend, sucking the life right out of the male.

Please tell me i didn't just post that on line for everyone to see.

I scrubbed the bottom of my boat on Hornby last week and had several of them on the brush.

Pretty nasty growth here.
The bottom was relatively clean in February when I moved it from Comox to this island.
And I already had a jungle growing on the bottom and one mussel appeared on the brush.

I am wondering what the best bottom coat paint is for this region to help reduce it.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I am in Nanaimo just south of you. Sailors here use mostly Micron CSC Ablative antifouling paint, usually two coats every haulout. In the winter the growth slows significantly, so a good cleaning in the fall, and again in very early spring is likely enough. But by April the water temp starts to increase and I find I need to scrub the bottom every two to three weeks to keep the green algae slime off. I'm pretty particular, and I like swimming, so it's no big deal for me to keep it clean.
Frank

Stuphoto

Member III
Thank you Frank,
I have just been using the brush so far but am planning on heading to Little Trib soon and swimming under her then.
I also have to replace my centerboard cable and am hoping I can accomplish that too.

My plan is to haul her out in either the fall or spring redoing the bottom.
At the moment I am slowly preparing for my first trip in her.