• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Stress Cracks

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
After returning from a tumble wash bashing of Chesapeake Bay 3-4 foot waves and 22 knot winds, I got out the soap and water to clean up the salt spray on Discovery.
I noticed two stress cracks at the base of the two leading stanchions of my pulpit. They most likely have been there and not noticed but I thought I would throw a maintenance question out to the group.

I assume it would be worthwhile adding bigger back braces on my pulpit for a winter project. Any comments?

Mark "Souleman" Soule

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Stanchions get lots of tugging and pulling that can stress the deck, but pulpits usually have the (significant) additional strength of multiple legs, all welded together. Has there been a collision sometime in the past where the pulpit contacted a piling or some other unyielding object?
Post up some photos when you can.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Il like Bolo's reply and same here. The answer is yes and yes, had an intervention with a post at one time and Yes, it is just the gelcoat.
I was wondering if reinforcing longer backing plates would help.

Mark

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You can always gel coat the cracks. Gel coat can be applied like paint to small areas, and I imagine you could squeegee off the surface and just leave the cracks filled.

Might need to add some coloration, since the white is really white. I solved that by turning the white patch into a placard.

IMG_4986.JPG...patch 3.JPG...Patch 2.JPG

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
other than keeping these sort of cracks full of boat wax, is there anything else that can be done?

Yes, there is and it takes a lot of time and effort. If they're minor and not a structural problem you just live with them. If they're major it's a different story.

Hagar2sail

Member III
Blogs Author
My general experience is the cracks happen because of flexing, and filling them in just means you get a crack in the new gel coat. So unless the deflection is one time or uncommon, it’s not worth the effort.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Opinion Piece:
(and worth 2 cents on a god day)
"Stress Cracking" is a phrase that gets used a lot, and often for only distantly-related problems and reasons.
The most fraught meaning, for most listeners, is an indicator of underlying weakness in the either engineering or construction... that is revealed by the crack in the surface. This is pretty rare in my experience. I have seen it once where it was obvious, in a small Islander 23 sailboat where the deck structure showed a crack on each side of the area where the combing was molded into the side of the cabin area. While it was holding together OK, the whole boat was flexing at that point.

The other manifestation is either a void in the immediate area under the gel coat, or a place the gel coat was initially sprayed too thick, during layup.
Gel coat will slowly, over years/decades slightly shrink as it continues to cure out. And like the cracking the ground in a drought area, the surface will pull apart a bit. Extra thickness really exacerbates the problem. There might also be a QC problem with the gel resin when it was sprayed -- Islander had several boats in the 70's with cracking/aligatoring all over (!) their decks and cabins. Structure seemed fine, but the appearance was disturbing. :(

On our EY boats, we can get some cracking if the gelcoat was not backed up thoroughly, or sometimes a small void was left. Look for this anywhere the mold had a fairly "sharp" edge, such as along a combing edge.
Currently, we have found and repaired a few small voids on the Olson, and they occur where you might predict. Our cast-in recesses for the stanchion bases have needed some repairing, for instance.
OTOH, we have found almost zero moisture in the balsa coring, as the guys at EY generally did an above average job on the layup and on initial bedding parts with 5200. Lots... of 5200. Lots.... :)

I would guess that the biggest concern for most owners is not the repair, but getting a close match on the gel coat color. (!)