• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Strut movement

Hoff

My 1988 E-28 strut has a some slight movement. I even have a small crack in the fiberglass by the strut. The owners manual states the strut is bonded to the hull. I was hoping to find some bolts to tighten but I think the strut bonding area is under the full fuel tank (oh no!). Have any of the E-28 owners repaired their strut? How are the struts attached to the hull?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
just a guess...

Our 1988 Olson 34 has the strut glassed to the inside of the hull. Big lump of frp over that area on the inside. From the outside the bronze strut goes into the hull with no lumps or bumps.
Ours is solid and passed the last survey "whack test" by the surveyor's hammer.
I am given to understand that there is some sort of flat tang on the top that is encased in cloth and resin inside. All I can think of is that you or the yard guy have some grinding to do to find out what is under that "lump" inside.
Best of luck,

Loren

jwolfgra

Member II
I had a little bit of looseness in my strut, e29. This was discovered during the repower. On my boat, the strut was attached with 2 bolts that were accessed under the battery tray. It wasn't too big a job to remove the tray, pop the strut off, do a bit of glassing, rebedd and rebolt.

good luck

Hoff

Just finsished the repair. On a 1988 E-28 the strut bolts are under the fuel tank and covered with a mound of fiber glass. This was not a fun job: remove the fuel/tank, grind away the glass, and then replace everything. Thank you for your thoughts and directions!
Hoff