• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

suddenly e 41 hull id #2

suddenlye41

I purchased suddenly 1 year ago she need some paint etc I am trying to find her her origanal and if she did transpac in 69 or 71 ?? she also has a stearman engine with a new new gearbox which is misaligned the boat lived inhawaii for 25 years spent 15 in the chesepeake bfore return g san diego I purchased it from jack p who owned it for this time ... I tried looking in the coast guard record but cannot find her original name thanks ned knight

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Following up:

In the 1969 Transpac, there were two Ericson 41s listed among the entries:

-- Pericus (sail number 7925, Huntington Harbor YC, owner William Wright)
-- Valerie (sail number 7853, Hawaii Yacht Club, owner Robert Oldham)

In the 1971 Transpac, there were three Ericson 41s listed:

-- Bevika (sail number 8554, Metropolitan YC, owner Dick Bockius)
-- Flying Cloud (sail number 19124, Portland YC, owner Edwin de Koning)
-- Valerie (same data as above... with the note that she was dismasted in the 1969 Transpac)

-- there was also an Ericson-39, Blue Orpheus (sail number 27734, Long Beach YC, owner Richard Johnson)

In the 1973 Transpac, Bevika (Ericson 41) is the only Ericson listed

In the 1975 Transpac, the entry list included

-- Blue Star (Ericson 39, sail number 37599, owner Brian Carter)
-- Conception (Ericson 37, sail number 7378, owner Larry Bradley)
-- Vind Fempe-Del (Ericson 39, sail number 1500, from Nagoya, Japan)

That's all I've found, so far....

Last edited:

Greenie

5 O'clock Somewhere
Hi,
Im really curious about any improvements you’ve done on “Suddenly” - I had actually put a deposit down on her about 2 years ago, but decided to back out with so many looming issues ... I drove down from LA thinking this was it I was going to purchase a ‘69 Ericson only to find out the engine wouldn’t start amongst other thing. i hope you got a good deal and are fixing her up ... she has such potential and beauty... I just didn’t have the $$ or skills to do it right.

would love to see what you’ve done along the way.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Alas, that was Suddenly's first and last message on the forum.

Apparently the issues that loomed for you loomed even bigger for the purchaser.

Kidmag

Suddenly was for sale for a long time siting in the Chula Vista Marina. Listing dropped off about 6-8 months ago. I had intended to go look at it her, but the broker scared me. Said she's been siting for a long long time, had lots of water damage from leaks. He made it clear it was a project boat - which is not what I was looking for.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I thought about that model at one time. I concluded I didn't want a late-60s project boat, no matter how pretty. The design is too far from current expectations, the cost of bringing her back stupendous and the resale fairly impossible.

Kidmag

are you sure...... https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1968/ericson-41-sloop-3253580/ :)

Actually I'm enamored with the 41, victimized by those beautiful lines... But I haven't had the chance to sail on one, and all the reviews are from the same guy - an editor from Practical Sailor. If she sails well in our Southern California light air and can point (cause lets face it, from San Diego you are pointing somewhere always), then I'm in real trouble and may make a financially disastrous life choice - but I'll be smiling in the beginning!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Lots of boats sail well. It's a business decision. If I wanted a 41 I'd look for one that had had 50K spent on it recently and with an asking price of 50K, which would be an optimistic seller..

It's a big boat on the outside and a small boat below. You can't paint the spars or hull yourself, too massive. It needs a new engine. It needs new tanks. It needs a bottom job. it needs new seacocks and hoses, winches, rigging and lines, electronics and then there's the cosmetics of upholstery and varnish and so on.

Is that just defeatism? Well, the issue is that everything's 50 years old. Everything is beyond its design life. It is impractical to make such a boat seaworthy for the purposes it was intended--family cruising, maybe even the South Seas. So it becomes a permanent project incapable of fulfilling its design intention.

Such a boat can indeed be a trophy, a restoration that draws admiration far and wide, a tribute, a legacy created independent of standard tastes and needs. Actually, you could put 100K into an E41 and have a very cool boat.

But for $100K you can also have a used Hanse 40. Time marches on and leaves beauty behind.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Yeah, I looked hard at that ad a while back. (And kicked the tires on a few other boats in that size/price range.) Yeah, it's possible and almost within budget. But then I think how much more time I could spend cruising on the little 49 y/o boat that I've already (almost) restored, for that amount of money and extra time.
Well... let me sink this one first.

bhhaskin

Ahoy!

I am the current owner of Suddenly. I bought her in November 2019 as an estate sale; the previous owner was Mr Knight. Unfortunately given the timeline he didn't have her long.

I picked her up at a great price due to some issues. I had a survey done before purchasing her, and nothing major was found. It turned out most of those issues are cosmetic and everything on the boat is functional. Still a project boat, but not as bad as first glances. Not a cruising ready boat. But that is fine with me as I am young and happy to do most of the work myself.

My original plan was to get her ship shape and sail her up to San Francisco this year. From there I would be doing the majority of the restore work. But then COVID happened. Those plans had to be postponed until next year.

The main thing keeping her slip bound is a major exhaust leak. The engine runs great, but fills up the cabin with exhaust after about 10 minutes. So I am replacing the entire exhaust system.

What water damage there is was caused by leaky hatches. The original hatches where replaced with rounded "modern" hatches. While she is slip bound the hatches are tarped and the rain water ingress has stopped. I have plans to build new ones based off the old design. The cabin sole is a bit of a mess. At some point it was replaced (poorly) with cheap stick on wood veneer planks. It is on the list of things to be replaced.

The other issue is the galley cabinets are sagging due to the counter being used in place of companionway stairs. The companionway stairs had been broken, and where not used. The stairs have since been fixed.

IMG_20200507_095444.jpg

Mainly she needs a lot of sanding and varnishing.

IMG_20200703_153125.jpgIMG_20200704_130401.jpgIMG_20200214_142042.jpgIMG_20200214_142034.jpgIMG_20200210_094830.jpg

As a side note @Christian Williams you are the reason I decided to look at buying an Ericson! I have been following you since your first single-handed video and I really enjoyed your philosophy of sailing book.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I like that model a lot, but as was pointed out it takes time and money to restore a large boat.
I am presently knee deep in a rebuild of our '88 model, and really appreciate the extra effort it might take to restore a boat from the 60's or early 70's.
As long you keep it long enough to really sail it and cruise it, you will amortize out the money, IMHO.
One other little thing: do not be in any hurry to replace a 'modern' alloy hatch with a wooden hatch.
Do keep us posted on progress, and start a blog if you wish ....

bhhaskin

I like that model a lot, but as was pointed out it takes time and money to restore a large boat.
I am presently knee deep in a rebuild of our '88 model, and really appreciate the extra effort it might take to restore a boat from the 60's or early 70's.
As long you keep it long enough to really sail it and cruise it, you will amortize out the money, IMHO.
One other little thing: do not be in any hurry to replace a 'modern' alloy hatch with a wooden hatch.
Do keep us posted on progress, and start a blog if you wish ....

It's definitely not for the light hearted that is for sure.

A well built modern hatch is going to outperform an old style wooden hatch. No question there. The hatches she currently has are very dated. The main issue with them is that they have rounded corners and are installed into square holes. They are installed incorrectly (wrong style of hatches), so they leak all around. Replacing them with the correct fitting modern hatches would make a lot of sense, but I like the look and feel of the wooden ones. It wouldn't be a one to one build, but would be build them using modern materials and sealants. You can do some amazing things with a CNC machine.

I do plan on starting a blog once I am a little further along.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A friend of mine replaced the factory wood hatches on his 79 E-30-2, and he first built out the perimeter of the opening with new GRP and then matched the deck color with new gel coat. The work can be tedious for us amateurs, but the learning is fun and the results are gratifying.