• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Suggestions for securing fuel tank

Jarod

Member III
Hello,

I just picked up an 18 gallon Tempo tank to replace the original steel tank in my E27. The original tank was held in with a couple of pieces of plywood that were fiberglassed to the inside of the hull and also fiberglassed directly to the tank. It is my understanding that fiberglass will not bond with plastic, i was thinking of setting the tank in place and tying it up so it sits approximately where I want it (put a level on it), then i was just going to fiberglass a couple of 2x4s underneath and secure the tank to them with some steel strapping. Is this good enough...please keep in mind I am an amateur with woodworking and fiberglass work

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
E27 GasTank

Jarod- The Tempo tank that you purchased has places on it for a mount kit to attach. I think you might regret using steel straps in the future (rusting issues). Im sure where you are mounting this tank is in an ugly place. The 2X4 are all right if they are properly attached and I would suggest glassed and painted with an epoxy or poly paint or even Interlux Bilgekote. Rob Hessenius

Annapolis E-27

Member III
Jarod,

Which model Tempo tank did you chose to install? I am also in need of replacing my old leaky tank in my E-27. How did you get the old tank out?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Strapping alternative

On our last boat I installed an additional water tank under the cockpit. I built a frame work in plywood and epoxy/cloth for it to nest into, and then secured the plastic tank down with low stretch dacron line.
Nowadays I would use something like T-900 or equivalent to do the securing. No steel corrosion problems that way.
Loren

Jarod

Member III
Hi Mark

I had no problem removing the tank via the cockpit locker it was quite easy actually. Simply disconnect the hoses and cut off the fiberglass/plywood bracing and it will come out with a bit of persuasion. There is a link below to the tank I ordered. I have seen afew folks on this site that went with the 12 gallon tank but i figured if i was going to swap i wanted to increase my fuel capacity...and the 18 gallon will fit as i put it in to make sure last night. If you have the old steel tank make sure you pull off the outlet fitting as you can re-use it for your new tank. My tank had a hard line going to the old atomic 4 rather than a rubber fuel line.....here is the link and keep the suggestions for mounting coming.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...3955/0/0/TEMPO/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0

thanks jarod

Annapolis E-27

Member III
Jarod,

I see you mention your old steel tank and you are increasing to 18 gallons. My E-27 came with a Berry Sheet metal aluminum tank that I think is 21 gallons or maybe 15 gallons. Not sure as I never filled it from empty and had a non-working guage. Did you take any photos of your R&R job? What did your old tank look like. I can't imagine my YSB-8 takes up anymore room than your A4 did.

Last edited:

Jarod

Member III
Mark,

My original tank was 1974 vintage....15 gallon steel. I believe most of the E27's were setup with these at least the ones with the old atomic. I doubt your diesel takes up anymore room than the A4, but i also doubt that will be a factor in installation as there is only really the one place to install the tank beneath the cockpit and the dimensions should be standard from year to year. I believe my original tank was 24L x 11 H x 16 W....but I may not be dead on....you can search E27 fuel tank and you will get the correct dimensions on one of the other threads.

Regards,
Jarod

Jarod

Member III
Also sorry no pics of before but i will take some of after...and i just barely fit the 18 gallon in there so it would be a tight squeeze to get something bigger unless it was a custom job...which i didnt want to shell out for.

CaptnNero

Accelerant
straps

Also sorry no pics of before but i will take some of after...and i just barely fit the 18 gallon in there so it would be a tight squeeze to get something bigger unless it was a custom job...which i didnt want to shell out for.

I just had a thought on the tank securing part. I recently used some hardware store variety load tie down straps with stainless eyebolts to secure some batteries instead of the flimsy straps and plastic clamps that come with the typical battery buckets. The straps I used have rubberized plastic coated hooks and coated adustable clamps so I'm not too worried about corrosion. They are rated for loads much higher than will come from a 70 lb battery.

Anyway, it seems that a similar product might be a good way to strap a fuel tank down. Since they are adjustable it would make removal of the tanks for maintenance easy also.

As Loren sometimes says, this advice is worth what is being paid for it. ;)

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Tank Hold Downs

Jarod- Buy the hold down kit that is advised by WM. Look at the link that you sent out earlier today and go to the bottom. You have 2 choices for hold downs. Do the job right the first time, and we all know the rest of this story. Trust me, I have spent years helping people fix their prior mistakes. Rob Hessenius

Last edited:

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Caveat Emptor

Jarod- Buy the hold down kit that is advised by WM. Look at the link that you sent out earlier today and go to the bottom. You have 2 choices for hold downs. Do the job right the first time, and we all know the rest of this story. Trust me, I have spent years helping people fix their prior mistakes. Rob Hessenius

I do hope that the unspecified shiny metal fittings on the West Marine gerneric fuel tank straps are better engineered than the nylon parts of the very similar ones they sell for batteries. On both used RV's and all three used sailboats that I've purchased the nylon fittings of the battery straps had failed at the time of purchase. I've seen both the buckle and the attachment fittings fail. That's too much failure for me to blame the owners' usage of the product. While perhaps adequate at the time of the mechanics' installation they do not appear to be durable.

The solution Rob recommends on Jarod's link page certainly does appear to be more robust than West Marine's generic fuel tank straps.

Last edited: