• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

'sup with my rudder?

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Boat's still on the hard in insurance limbo as we figure out keel stuff, so I can worry about other things, like what's going on here with my rudder? The yard's gonna take a look at it but curious if this group has thoughts. Doesn't look GOOD at the very least.

1597773549499.png
1597773558235.png

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Boat's still on the hard in insurance limbo as we figure out keel stuff, so I can worry about other things, like what's going on here with my rudder? The yard's gonna take a look at it but curious if this group has thoughts. Doesn't look GOOD at the very least.

View attachment 35139
View attachment 35140
Looks to me like the rudder has moisture in it, the rudder post is oxidizing inside with the salts or whatever spilling out the top discoloring the fibreglass above it.
I would start by drilling a small hole or two in the bottom of the rudder to see how much water drips out. You may need a new or rebuilt rudder as it would be weakened with internal corrosion. Just my thoughts...
Frank

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Geoff,
Depending on your comfort zone, it might be worth while digging a hole and dropping the rudder. You might have to simply clean the rudder post, add a little lithium grease and do general clean up. When you put it back together, find the zerk (grease nut) and squeeze in half a tube of lithium grease.

My thoughts for what it is worth.

Mark "Souleman" Soule

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I always get some discoloration there too when hauled out (though maybe not quite as bad as what you show). I've always been able to wipe the rust and muck off with a wet rag and find sound paint/fiberglass underneath, so I've never worried about it.

The second photo looks like some glass may be chipped away under that washer. I'd look closer at that chipping, but a little rust stainining that wipes away wouldn't bother me.

Diring haulout last year, I put a new zerk fitting in the rudder tube and pumped a full tube of grease in there. Curious whether I'll see less rust/staining at the next haulout.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well, the rudder post is stainless steel, it rusts a little, and if discoloration is all there is--. Do feel around in there and see what it looks like after an attack with a scrub pad. I don;t think you'll need a new boat.

eknebel

Member III
Looks to me like the rudder has moisture in it, the rudder post is oxidizing inside with the salts or whatever spilling out the top discoloring the fibreglass above it.
I would start by drilling a small hole or two in the bottom of the rudder to see how much water drips out. You may need a new or rebuilt rudder as it would be weakened with internal corrosion. Just my thoughts...
Frank

I had similar staining upon purchase in 2000, and was advised by the surveyor to drill a small hole or two to let it drain every time the boat was hauled. This was to prevent delamination from freezing water expansion. I always had a significant rust stained area on the tarp in the spring, probably amounting to a cup or two over the winter. That went on for about 15 years, when the rudder blisters got out of control. The safety committee wanted it replaced instead of repaired. After a destructive autopsy was performed, the stain less steel had surface rust, but no significant pitting. So with significant labor, I could have repaired it as some have done. I reached out to Foss foam in California, not in the Carolinas, who still had the original mold. It was around $1500 I think with shipping.

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
Well, turns out this may be 'sup with my rudder...

f644dc73-f317-4144-85d9-5d704bfd7f17.jpg

Last edited:

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
So water penetrated at the top and traveled down, creating rust along the leading edge?

Not sure what the forensics would say. The leading edge has a crack/seam all the way down it. A couple years ago, Everett boatyard removed the rudder to dry it and reglass a crack at the bottom of the rudder, so this may be either be resultant or related to that work. Also a possibility that two months of sitting in the summer sun expanded and cracked an already weak edge.

Last edited:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
BTDT:
20 (3).JPG

It didn't show up during the survey but arrived like this in the yard after a 500 mile trailer ride.

First thing I did was hire someone to do the repairs. It's been fine since.

22 (2).jpg 26 (1).jpg

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I learned that whenever the boat is hauled out, I need to cover the rudder with cardboard. If I don't, the side that's sun-backed forms several 2-4" diameter bulges from the heat. Some would say that's a sign of delamination but I haven't worried about it and haven't seen any problems from it.

The rudder post has gotta be stainless, the top part is always in contact with (salt)water.

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
The yard here covers rudders with something like brown paper bag material and tape... which is how we only just found this crack, taking the tape off to prepare for launch!

Navman

Member III
I have an Ericson notice relative to the rudder from Foss. It states that unless the rudder is painted white the warranty is void. As mentioned above, it is because of sun induced heat causing the interior of the rudder to expand causing blisters or possibly even causing the vertical split in the seam as seen in the above photo. MYy ruder when purchased by me 5 years ago was painted using the same red paint as the bottom. I had noticed two large roundish ”bubbled” areas and to or three smaller ones when the boat was hauled. I drilled and put a removable plug at the base of the rudder and can easily remove the plug and let whatever moisture is in there to drain. I don’t get much, but I am sure it helps. I have also been painting the rudder with white Vivid bottom paint. No more bubbles, rudder is smooth. Looks pretty cool also.

garryh

Member III
I drilled a 1/4 hole in my rudder and was shocked to find no water coming out. I do think I will install a bronze garboard plug with a pipe thread.
The hole I drilled in the bottom of my keel provided several gallons of water ; |
subject of another thread

Attachments

• water in hull1.jpg
    water in hull1.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 23

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
I drilled a 1/4 hole in my rudder and was shocked to find no water coming out. I do think I will install a bronze garboard plug with a pipe thread.
The hole I drilled in the bottom of my keel provided several gallons of water ; |
subject of another thread

You let all the water ballast out!