• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

'sup with my rudder?

Kerry Kukucha

Member II
I had a new rudder done by Foss (Finco) a number of years ago - they still had the original 38 moulds, so I just sent them the stainless rudder post (removed all old fibreglass & foam). Cost around one boat unit & was alot cheaper than having the local boatyard rebuild/repair.
Might be worth a call to them to see if they still have the 32 moulds....
  • Finco Fabrication
  • 2520 South Broadway
  • Santa Ana, CA 92707
  • tel. (714) 973-2878
  • fax. (714) 973-2832
  • email: finco@sbcglobal.net

JSM

Member III
Had a similar problem with the rudder on my 34-2. There was a bulge in one side and the trailing edge had separated. After draining the water I dropped the rudder, cut out the bulge and let the rudder dry out over the winter in my basement.
Once the rudder was dry I filled the cut out area with epoxy thickened with micro balloons and re skinned the rudder with a layer of 1708 cloth. At he point where the post enters the rudder I used a dremel tool to cut a groove around the post and fitted the post with an O ring and sealed it with 5200.
Its been four years since I did the repair and am happy to report that the rudder is still bone dry.