• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Surfers and antifouling a prop

yodaears

'84 E30+ HN 636
Thought i would pass this along. I had my boat hauled for annual maint about three months ago and was disheartened by the barnacle growth on the prop. I don't like the idea of painting a prop, corrosion and such. So I was asking the yard what they've heard of to help. One of the dock hands is a friend of mine and told me he uses base coat versions of surf wax to protetct the prop and keep the critters away. I've been surfing for 24 years and was disappointed that this never occurred to me! So, I gave it a shot. It took me 5 minutes at a cost of $1 for the wax and a bandaid (I cut myself on the prop doing it...doh!). Anyways, I donned a wetsuit this afternoon to give everything a look see. After three months, moderate use on the boat:(, not a damn thing. Not even slime. The prop looks like it did after I applied it. Now, it does make the surface of the prop a bit rougher so I'm probably losing some efficiency but nothing that I notice. And I applied a bit more while in the water. We'll see how it looks in another 3 months but I'm optimistic. See...surfers can contribute to the greater good! I think. Maybe. Aloha.

clp

Member III
Yeah man. You got a brand name for the wax? I know nothing about these things, but something good for the screw does interest me!

yodaears

'84 E30+ HN 636
Yeah man. You got a brand name for the wax? I know nothing about these things, but something good for the screw does interest me!
I use sexwax on my boards so that's what I had lying around. I'm sure any brand would work though, they're basically the same. Some just smell better than others:)

Last edited: