• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Tachometer Needle Vibration

LeonSheean

My 1988 32-200 with an mx-25 has given me over 30 years of trouble-free operation, but the tack needle has begun to vibrate relative to the apparent rpm. I have pulled and cleaned the gray wire feed from the alternator with no improvement. The alternator seems to be OK. Where should I go next?

Thanks.

Tall Lee

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
All I can say is that every time I mess with the panel, the tachometer gets irritated and lags or bounces. It always settles down after a week or two.

There is often a tach rate "selector" on the back of the unit to select the right range. My teleflex manual suggests it is sensitive. A nudge may improve things.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Lee,

check the connections on the ground side of the circuit. If you have a jumper wire with alligator clips on both ends, clip it to a good ground and then to the black wire side of the tack. Does it smooth out? If so, probably a loose ground wire somewhere.

Another thing that makes the tach screwy is when the batteries are so highly charged that the alternator is not charging at all. If it is on shore power when it’s doing this, it might be fully charged. Unplug and burn some lights or run some other load for a while and try again. Does it smooth out now?