• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Tall ship Irving Johnson on fire near Isthmus Cove

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
As some of you already know, the Irving Johnson is a tall ship based out of Los Angeles harbor. I am down at the boat, getting prepped for a Catalina trip next week, and heard over the VHF that there is a fire aboard that vessel, which is in the vicinity of Isthmus Cove. At this point I have no other details. I shall continue to monitor and report back any additional information.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Update @ 1:13 pm: the vessel has been assisted and the pan pan cancelled. Still don’t know any more than that, but it sounds like whatever happened is under control.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Update @ 1:13 pm: the vessel has been assisted and the pan pan cancelled. Still don’t know any more than that, but it sounds like whatever happened is under control.
I'd have thought a fire on-board would necessitate a "mayday," not a "pan pan." Am I wrong?

peaman

Sustaining Member
I'd have thought a fire on-board would necessitate a "mayday," not a "pan pan." Am I wrong?
If no lives at risk, then pan pan is appropriate. If the ship was docked when fire was spotted, evacuation would not not require assistance.

If the fire is actually visible from other vessels, that, in itself, is considered a distress signal, per Rule 37 of the Navigation Rules.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I believe peaman is correct.

I never actually heard any transmissions from the Irving Johnson side; I only heard the broadcasts from our local CG. The first one was a pan-pan, asking vessels in the area to render assistance. (At that point I made my initial post to EYO.) Whether or not that had been an ongoing pan pan broadcast I can't say, because I had just turned on the VHF. Then, not quite 10 minutes later, the CG cancelled the pan pan. From that I concluded that the situation was in hand.