• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Tank Gauge

wheelerwbrian

Member III
I currently have a nonfunctioning Sealand Tankwatch on the holding tank that I'm replacing. I don't know why it quit, but it did, perhaps the probe got gunked up -- I can't imagine it not. I'd like to replace it with something else and have been looking at the Acugage by Snake River, which apparently doesn't require probes into the tank, using some sort of impedance stickers attached to the exterior (yeah, one less hole!).

Has anyone had any experience with this device, or others, for this purpose? I'm just looking to install for the holding tank, since the current panel is already in the head...

Thanks all.

Shadowfax

Member III
I bought a Acugage by Snake River a couple of years back. The problem I had was that the part of the unit that measured fuel exceeded the face of the fuel tank. On my E34 a plywood panel almost sits on top of the fuel tank to provide a base for the rear bed, so it wouldn't work and I returned it. At the time it was rated as about the best, but since then a number of other people produce these type units.

A comment about holes. Yes, you are not drilling holes in your water tanks, holding tanks, etc., but you have to be able to get completely to these tanks [all sides] to attach the strips that read the content of the tanks and this can be almost as much of a hassle as drilling holes, maybe more. Whichever one you buy, take a good hard look at installation and what you will have to do to install the system on your boat.

Glyn Judson

Tank gauge alternative.

Brian, If you can gain access to any side of your plastic holding tank you might want to try a very simple alternative to drilling any more holes or putting anything into the tank at all. It's how I've checked my tank for years and can say for a certainty that it works like a charm. Use an electronic stud finder to determine the fluid level in your polyethylene holding tank. The dielectric constant principle of the finder works quite well to tell you how full your tank is. Place it horizontally against the side of the tank near the bottom. Turn the device on and slowly slide it up the side of the tank. It will indicate when it reaches the fluid level. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

wheelerwbrian

Member III
Unfortunately once the tank is installed its surrounded by plywood except for a six inch area on the forward side of the tank, where the hoses go. Then there's a shelf over that part to prevent any continuing access.