• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Teak

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I have found mahogony plywood from the merchants listed in my last post, thanks. However.... none of them can supply the 9'4" x 12" x 1" teak I need for the cockpit. I can transport it myself, and will road trip from Syracuse as necessary if anyone has any suggestions who might sell it within a few hundred miles.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Gareth, it's not clear from your post, but did you try Condon? A number of years ago I bought some substantial teak lumber from them.

jmoses

Member III
11 foot Slabs of Teak

Gareth,

I had to special order my cockpit teak coaming boards from a local vendor (Jordon Hardwoods). He had them shipped up from Los Angles to San Francisco for me at no cost. I ended up with two boards that are 11' long x 14" wide and 13/16ths thick finish planed (originally 4/4 thick). He specially requested defect free planks so there are no knots, checks, cracks, or worm holes and straight as an arrow with no grain bending either. Be sure to ask for defect free and finish surface planed planks as trying to plane down an 11 foot x 14" board is a problem unless you have a profesional wood shop.

They are gorgeous chunks of teak, but they were not cheap......are you sitting down? I paid $300.00 each (whole sale), which I felt was a pretty good deal for such huge chunks of perfect teak. But at 25.00 a board foot, that's pretty high regardless, but anything over 8" wide doubles in cost, let alone 11 foot defect free planks.

Ask around. Any hardwood specialty vendor should know where to get the good stuff (veneer ply, 12' long plywood, unusual widths and lengths, exotic wood, etc.). Try a asking a high end cabinet/furniture maker where he/she gets their wood? It's out there, just have to pay for it.

John M.