• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Tef-Gel or Dura-Lac for spinnaker pole track screws?

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I'm currently installing a 6ft spinnaker pole track on the mast.

Drilling/tapping the 20, 5/16" holes was harder than I thought (mast raised on floating boat). If the drill bit walks just a bit, the hole alignment can be challenging over the course of 20 holes. In the end, I got all the screws to fit, but I had to enlarge about 5 of the holes in the track itself (by 1/64 - 1/32) to get the alignment right.

I have both Tef-Gel and Dura-lac in the tool kit, so I can use either one when installing the screws. I keep reading that Dura-Lac is very hard to work with. Was wondering why that is. I know Tef-Gel is easy. Is one preferred in a "permanent" application such as this?

Slick470

Member III
I used Tef-Gel on all the fittings I reinstalled on our mast last summer. I'm pretty sure I researched it at the time and found that Tef-Gel was highly recommended for that application. I haven't used Dura-Lac but have used Lanocote in the past. I definitely prefer the Tef-Gel to the Lanocoat. It seems a lot stickier and definitely smells better. Costs more too...