• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Temp Sending Unit for '72 E27 A4

My temp sending unit recently failed and reads 41 ohms always. The gauge has no identifying marks I can see except for 'JAPAN' stamped into the back. The gauge face reads from 100 to 220. At 41 ohms the gauge reads 100. Unlike most sending units I've read about here and in other places, this one reads higher as resistance increases. Adding resistance in series with the unit I get gauge readings of about 165 at 81 ohms, 180 at 90 ohms, 195 at 115 ohms, 205 at 120 ohms, and 210 at 170 ohms. Shorting the gauge lead directly to ground pegs it at well over 220.

The sending unit is marked "12V" on one hex face and "1-D" on another. Looks like a 1/4 pipe thread to me. Has a 11/16 hex 'head'. It's in an adapter bushing that looks to be a 1/2 NPT with a 15/16 hex 'head'. The 'shaft' of the unit extends about 1.5 inches beyond the threads.

So far I haven't found anything in this form with a positive temp coefficient online.
Can anyone help me find a replacement?

20200920_181516.jpg20201018_145228.jpg

Tried them. Couldn't really help other than to offer a new gauge with matching sending unit.
I mistakenly said the gauge pegged high when the lead was shorted to ground. Actually it pegs low.
I don't know how to edit the post to change that.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
how to edit the post

There's a time limit for editing your own post. After it expires, just "reply" and make the correction or addition (as you did).

Or a moderator can make the change in the original post at your request.