• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Temporary fix to wood sole

patrscoe

Member III
I have a 12" x 14" soft area within my cabin sole near my aft berth and galley in the corner. I have read extensive amount cabin sole replacement threads and blogs (great information) on his forum but I am finishing up some critical projects right now and preparing my sailboat for this coming season and at this time, I don't want to take on another extensive project, especially right before launch. The soft spot has been there from my purchase in 2018.

Would something like Smith's penetrating epoxy resin sealer harden up the area for a season or two, until I have time for a complete cabin sole replacement?
I don't want to remove the small section of floor and reinforce it, as that alone would be a extensive project before launch.
I am looking for a temporary fix to stabilize the floor in that area to prevent from further weakness by walking on it. If I put my weight on it, it depresses down by 1/4" or so.
Any thoughts on a temp fix?

(side note: I could not have tackled so my large projects this winter without the many detailed blogs and threads on this site; one project was replacing the lens within my hatches - yesterday I reinstalled them with the new acrylic lens and what a huge difference. I can actually see the sky above from the cabin and top they look great, what a difference...)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You could try injecting CPES, but it will mean drilling a bunch of holes in the area and injecting. That probably would help some but not make a really solid feel underfoot. And, well, there'd be a couple dozen holes in the varnish to look at.

You may be able to save that part of the sole after removing it, as I did, just so you don't have to replace the entire sole (to keep all the veneer matching). But, as you say, that's a big job. There's always the option of living with the sponge factor for a while, knowing it isn't structural.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Not sure there is a "quick fix" that would work on the existing spongy sole. If you think it may fail in the near future you may want to think of cutting a piece of 1/4" fir plywood to fit so it rests on top of solid portions of sole. Bevel the edges, apply some stain and finish, attach with screws or some non curing adhesive to hold it in place until full repair. You will have a little edge to deal with but you won't fall through at least.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Before my current in-process sole replacement...we had a much larger soft spot down the main isle. I went to a local fence company and bought one white PVC fence post. I think it is standard 4"x4" by 6 feet. I think it cost $7? Heavy duty thin wall PVC but hollow inside and of course will not rot and easy to power or hand saw. I cut several sections depending on the distance from bottom of ply to the fiberglass, then shoved/wedged the PVC sections under. Made for a solid temporary floor! No more springy...Until the thin veneer began to delaminate from the ply and look like crap...then my current ongoing sole replacement.