• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Tender Storage on 30+

The Molly Ann

Member I
I have always been interested in how people are stowing their tenders on an E-30+. I travel from Dana Point to Catalina often and getting the dingy ready is such a hassle and towing seems like a "drag". The best option I have found is keeping it lashed to the foredeck but it really takes up most space. Wondering if someone has a clever davit system they have rigged on these boats. It's hard for me to think of a clever system with such narrow transoms.

IMG_9687.jpeg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Davits on a 30-foot boat are impractical. And to my eye, even on my boat, they look, well, all right, never mind.

There's really no choice but to store the inflatable small, which is why they exist, and then pump it up on the foredeck, awkward as that is.

Foot pumps are traditional, and effortless--as long as you have a 16-year-old aboard who wants to go ashore more than you do, and is willing to pound his foot on an expanding mushroom without wrecking the deck, the hatch, the lifelines it gets tangled with, and your nerve endings.

I don't know why I did not, long ago, buy an electric dinghy pump such as:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Davits on a 30-foot boat are impractical. And to my eye, even on my boat, they look, well, all right, never mind.

There's really no choice but to store the inflatable small, which is why they exist, and then pump it up on the foredeck, awkward as that is.

Foot pumps are traditional, and effortless--as long as you have a 16-year-old aboard who wants to go ashore more than you do, and is willing to pound his foot on an expanding mushroom without wrecking the deck, the hatch, the lifelines it gets tangled with, and your nerve endings.

I don't know why I did not, long ago, buy an electric dinghy pump such as:

Agreed on all counts.

I'd add only this: I used to strap my deflated boat just forward of the mast, but I found even that too much of a hassle. On my E26, the quarter berth functions basically as the boat's "garage." (That berth is worthless for sleeping but is great for storage.) So the inflatable just lives in there all the time and is ready to go, even if I decide to do an impromptu trip to Catalina.

I have a Porter-Cable electric inflator that makes quick work of pumping up my Achilles dinghy. It gets the boat somewhat hard, but I then top off each chamber by adding 5 to 7 pumps with a high-pressure hand pump. I then use my whisker pole topping lift to raise up the boat vertically by the painter, then over the lifelines, and stern-first into the water.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I find that most people tow really badly. When I tow an inflatable, I will bring the bow well up if not on the transom with a short painter. This leaves a smaller amout of the dinghy in the water and the middle of the boat levitating. It's a lot less drag and depending on the shape of your transom, you could put down some chafe protection. Only problem I have run into is that you can forget it's back there. I have sailed in 20 knot winds close hauled and forgot I had the dingy. I even did this with a small hard dingy once or twice with equal results.

The Molly Ann

Member I
Agreed on all counts.

I'd add only this: I used to strap my deflated boat just forward of the mast, but I found even that too much of a hassle. On my E26, the quarter berth functions basically as the boat's "garage." (That berth is worthless for sleeping but is great for storage.) So the inflatable just lives in there all the time and is ready to go, even if I decide to do an impromptu trip to Catalina.

I have a Porter-Cable electric inflator that makes quick work of pumping up my Achilles dinghy. It gets the boat somewhat hard, but I then top off each chamber by adding 5 to 7 pumps with a high-pressure hand pump. I then use my whisker pole topping lift to raise up the boat vertically by the painter, then over the lifelines, and stern-first into the water.
Seems like we are all on the same page, little boat = little storage for toys. I too keep it deflated in the aft berth then haul it up during most of the summer. Its a pain but it's an option I guess.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Seems like we are all on the same page, little boat = little storage for toys. I too keep it deflated in the aft berth then haul it up during most of the summer. Its a pain but it's an option I guess.
We have always towed our 8 foot fibreglass Walker Bar dinghy on a 30 foot line behind our E30+. We lose about a half knot, but it tows like a champ even in good size waves, has never capsized, and can hold four adults in a quiet area. I wouldn't recommend towing in blue water, but for coastal cruising it's been great.
Frank

The Molly Ann

Member I
We have always towed our 8 foot fibreglass Walker Bar dinghy on a 30 foot line behind our E30+. We lose about a half knot, but it tows like a champ even in good size waves, has never capsized, and can hold four adults in a quiet area. I wouldn't recommend towing in blue water, but for coastal cruising it's been great.
Frank
How to you stow while in the slip? Dana Point is some what chill about tied up off the transom but things are changing with new marina ownership. It’s also a pain when heading out for a day sail to negotiate with moving it out of the way and back.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
How to you stow while in the slip? Dana Point is some what chill about tied up off the transom but things are changing with new marina ownership. It’s also a pain when heading out for a day sail to negotiate with moving it out of the way and back.
I can tie it off on the port quarter, with a couple of fenders, at the dock. I normally don't take the dinghy when I'm just going for a day sail, so then I can put it on the dinghy storage dock for a few weeks at a time till I go on another longer trip,when she'll tow happily behind.
Frank

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I have found that marinas is general are not tow dinghy friendly. It's kind of like finding a pet friendly hotel. If you find one you will pay for extra to have your "pet". So after a few trips I don't take it anymore as I wouldn't want it on the foredeck, I don't keep it clean enough for that.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I used to have a WB8. It fit neatly in the slip alongside the bow of the boat. But if left floating, it got awful slime growing on the bottom.
The best marina set-ups I’ve observed are when a large family manages to rent both sides of a “double” slip. E.g. sail boat on one side, ski boat on the other. That leaves all kinds of extra space for dinghies, jet skis, kayaks, etc. since there’s no worry about encroaching on the neighbor. Some of them have “inflatable dock floats” on the spare side of the slip, which absorb the slime, while they pile dinghies and kayaks high and dry on top.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I have always been interested in how people are stowing their tenders on an E-30+. I travel from Dana Point to Catalina often and getting the dingy ready is such a hassle and towing seems like a "drag". The best option I have found is keeping it lashed to the foredeck but it really takes up most space. Wondering if someone has a clever davit system they have rigged on these boats. It's hard for me to think of a clever system with such narrow transoms.

View attachment 38592
I like to row ( comes from beach lifeguard days ) and inflatables don’t row well - so I was thinking of short 6’ wooden dingy ( maybe lightweight plywood ) and store it on the foredeck . Problem is storage . I don’t necessarily want to leave it there all the time . There is plenty of room in the slip but the rules don’t allow it - although it seems to be some who have one tied up anyway .

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Option #3 or 4: build a nesting dinghy. A few years ago 4 of our members simultaneously built the same boat from plans. Ten feet long when together, and they row wonderfully.
Link to their blog -- https://gypsykramer.com
Now cruising in Mexico.
I grabbed a picure of their 36 footer with the nesting dinghy on the foredeck. It does not seem to take up too much room.

Attachments

• gypsy-sailing.jpg
    gypsy-sailing.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 31

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I've admired a couple of boats with nesting dinghies that sort of double as a spray dodger when underway. Looking at pictures like these, I get a strong feeling of almost:
junior-on-deck-3.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Chesapeake Light Craft makes a nesting pram you can build yourself, and modify as needed (transom cut to fit the deck, in my case). They also have nesting models. My Eastport pram weighs 65 pounds wet, and is easily manhandled over the side by one person.

Here's how it fit on the 32-3:
Thelonious in Hawaii..JPG

Last edited:

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
Chesapeake Light Craft makes a nesting pram you can build yourself,
How did you secure the dinghy? Were there custom anchor points installed?
The Eastport Pram is on my shortlist, I'd be interested in hearing about its performance with an adult passenger. 8' seems alright for getting from the boat to a dock, but not for "just going for a row".

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A folding padeye on the foredeck for the bow tie-down. On the 32-3 and the 381, the transom secures neatly to the dorade guard.

Many people scribe and trim the dinghy transom so it fits the deck camber-- makes it sit better and doesn't affect performance.

0731120910.jpg
pram transom - Copy.JPG

The Eastport pram carries a spouse and a small dog--and that requires two oarlock positions, so when carrying a passenger you can row from the bow. It's very small and light. It rows fine with two but is more fun for one. Such a boat has no carry. For practical purposes an inflatable with a small outboard has much more utility.