• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

That dinghy thread has got me feverish...

Andrew Means

Member III
Reading the dinghy poll has given me boat fever for a better dinghy...

On the Wino (my Ericson 27) we have a chintzy little inflatable - it's nice because it's light, collapses well, but it tows really poorly and it rows worse. Also it's a pain in the ass to pump it up. The plastic oarlocks have broken, and I'm losing patience with it.

Ideally I'd like to get a dinghy that carries two people comfortably, sails (how bitchin' would it be to anchor at a little cove and then sail around to explore it?) rows well enough, and looks somewhat nice.

I've looked at little El Toro sailing dinghies, but I'm pretty sure they're too small for two people (plus gear), and I don't know how well they row.

The Dory that Treilley posted in the dinghy poll thread is beautiful, but how much did that cost? Do you guys have other suggestions? I'd like to keep it under 1000...

e38sailorman

Member II
Andrew,

You are in the Northwest, look around for a Ranger Minto, beautiful sailing and rowing dink, about $1000 used for a nice one.

Marc
E38 Wavewalker

Emerald

The thing that just pops to mind is a Dyer Dink. At 10' for the traditional version, perhaps a bit longer than wanted, but I've certainly known those who towed one. Perhaps a midget at just under 8' - check this page for an overview and links:

http://www.dyerboats.com/dinghies.html

It's been awhile since I looked, but I recall seeing used prices on older boats from $500-$1500.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I paid $1200 for the Cape Dory 10. It is a beautiful sailing and rowing dinghy. It will carry 4 people and some gear. It is a little on the heavy side due to it's stout FRP layup but it tows well.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Minto

Andrew,

You are in the Northwest, look around for a Ranger Minto, beautiful sailing and rowing dink, about $1000 used for a nice one.

Marc
E38 Wavewalker

Last year I picked up a decent Minto with a new sail for under $700. Found it on a CraigsList ad. I have seen others lately just as attractive. They are a superb 9' sailing and rowing dinghy -- an honest NW classic.

Loren

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Everything is a trade off:

I have tried several dinghies at this point and they all have pros and cons. I have a 10.5ft Achilles with an 8hp that is great, roomy, dry, fast, etc. but the motor is heavy, the dink fits on the foredeck but getting it there is work. It will also knock a knot off the boat speed when towed.

I have a Nutshell Pram complete with rig and 3hp outboard. It rows and sails wonderfully but towing it sucks. Its very noisy when towed, the daggerboard plug had to be pinned in to keep water from shooting up and filling it when towing, even so it leaks a bit. Its not nearly as stable as an inflatable for getting in and out of. It will also surf down and smack the transom if sea conditions are right when towing. I can put it on the foredeck, but that ain't easy either. It will also clunk against the hull when there is no wind in the early morning and that will wake the wife.....

I have a 7ft Zodiac slat-floor roll up type inflatable with a 2.5hp Yamaha. Very light, easy to load, launch and retrieve to the foredeck. Will never plane and very wet if there is any chop. But much nicer on my back!

I hate towing dinks. The noise of the hull slapping the water drives me nuts. The loss of up to a knot of boat speed is unacceptable since when I take a dink with me, I'm going somewhere. I have been in enough situations where the weather changed and got bad enough that if I was towing a dink I might have lost it. Putting the dink on the foredeck is my solution as davits are out of the question. Nothing uglier than a set of davits making a sailboat look like a Winnebago.

There is no free lunch, as the saying goes. Until I can afford a sailboat big enough to have a fold down transom "garage" that holds a 13ft RIB, and a Laser next to it there isn't a perfect solution.

RT

Last edited:

Saoirse

Photos of Blaosca Cno (our 7'7" Nutshell Pram)

This past winter, we built a 7'7" Nutshell pram from a kit. She tows happily astern on a long painter without weeping water through the daggerboard blank locking pin. Although she'll weep when fully loaded with three adults. To keep her 'quiet' at anchor we often tie her alongside. Here are some photographs:prep for paint; rowing in to the WBS at Brooklin, ME; sailing in Stage Island Hbr, ME; towing off Seguin Island, ME; sailing in Somesville, Mount Desert Island, ME. We hope you these photographs!
Saoirse, E-26 '87
Preping for painting.jpg Rowing in to WBS, Brooklin, ME.jpg Sailing at Stage Island Hbr, ME.jpg Towing off Seguin, ME.jpg Sailing in Somesville, ME.jpg

Rolf

Inactive Member

Attachments

• Kiara%20Profile%20II%20(Stbrd).jpg
    Kiara%20Profile%20II%20(Stbrd).jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 160
  • Kiara%20Stem%20Shot.jpg
    Kiara%20Stem%20Shot.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 167
  • Kiara%20Stern%20Shot.jpg
    Kiara%20Stern%20Shot.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 132