• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

The site seems much "faster"

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Sean,

I noticed that the site loads quite a bit faster since last night's maintenance. Speed is always appreciated, thanks. Last month, while on vacation on the east coast, we took advantge of free Wi-Fi a few times to check e-mail. We have a new HP IPAQ (seems weird calling it an HP) which has the Pocket PC 2003 Pro OS. The EY.o site came across quite well on the PDA. Although, as with all PDAs, inputting text is an acquired skill with the internally provided methods.

Just today I noticed the Info Exchange Archive page has a PDA link. Does that link somehow optimize the site for PDA users? Does it place something in the cookie so it knows the next time you come in via PDA? I just wondered if there was any particular differences in the way the site handles PDAs vs. full screen computers.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Replying to my own posting, the site provides a more text-rich PDA display. I did try a Quick Reply to a post, which failed, but it didn't lose my input. I then switched to the regular mode and submitted.

This was posted from my PDA.

Nice.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Upgrade on VBulletin Code

Thanks for the kind words, Craig - but as much as I would like to take credit for the increase in speed, I have to admit that it's due to the upgrades just performed by our host, Pair Networks.

The upgrades I just completed changed out the application code for the software that supports this bulletin board. The old version was supported by a version of PHP which has recently had security flaws discovered in it - so Jelsoft (the publisher of this board) updated the VBulletin app code to cover those flaws (Pair will have to update the PHP code to a newer version eventually).

There are also some feature changes - and minor changes to the interface (like you'll notice the change in the upload manager - which now has the doc types permitted for upload, and their size/dim requirements).

The next thing we need to do is start discussing the code changes to the site itself to improve things like the links area, etc....

//sse