• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

The story of a fuel leak

Teranodon

Member III
A couple of weeks ago, I finally installed lazyjacks on my E34. I was very pleased with myself, and told my wife how happy I was with the boat: all systems were in excellent shape. It was a dumb thing to say. The following day I entered the cabin and smelled diesel fuel. I examined hoses, fittings, injectors, filters, etc., until the unpleasant truth could not be denied: the welded aluminum tank - only ten years old - was leaking. Feeling under the accessible part - the forward corner at the bottom of the tank - my fingers came away pink and wet. One drop every couple of minutes. Ugh!

Before anything else, I needed to get the fuel out, pronto. But how? I mentally cycled through various schemes for syphoning, buying a transfer pump, lifting the tank out “as is”, patching with special goop, etc. Since I am often a little slow on the uptake, it took some time before I hit on the obvious solution. The tank is already equipped with a pickup tube, and a hose that goes to the Racor filter, to the electric pump, and thence to the engine via a 3-foot rubber hose. So I removed a clamp, transferred the hose to the mouth of a yellow diesel can, and turned the ignition key. Two hours later, all of the fuel - some 15 gallons - was out. There followed a period of intense cursing and grunting to disconnect the tank, pry it out of its nest, and muscle it through the companionway. In a Covid-free world, two people could have done it in five minutes.

In my shop, I leveled the tank on sawhorses and let the residual fuel (plus a tell-tale sheet of toilet paper) show me the leak: a nearly invisible pinprick along the bottom edge.

The normally-friendly local welder was not happy to see me. I guess he didn’t feel like blowing himself up. Wanted me to flush the tank with transmission fluid (huh?) in a complicated way, but finally relented and told me to just bring it over and leave the whole thing to him. He did a very nice job.

Draining tank.jpgLeaky tank.jpgTen days after discovering the leak, and $100 poorer, I have my boat back. I’m really happy with it now. All systems are in excellent shape!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My Condolences! I had to drain our tank to fix a pin hole leak.... at the lowest corner a drop of condensation water had evidently sat for a while and corroded thru. I bought a cheap transfer pump at Harbor Freight, and pumped out three 5 gallon cans worth.
I was able to clean it out thoroughly via the clean-out ports on top. Local welder repaired the leak for me for $20.
Farmed out, this would have been an expensive repair. :(

erikwfab

Member II
Marine Tex applied to the inside of an AL tank will patch leaks where water, bottom, has caused pinhole leaks

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Marine Tex applied to the inside of an AL tank will patch leaks where water, bottom, has caused pinhole leaks
Many years ago the fuel tank in an old mercury car began to leak. A local radiator shop emptied the fuel and coated the whole inside with some kind of epoxy spray, and it never leaked again. I wonder if anyone has heard of a similar fix for our marine fuel tanks?
Just spot repair seems questionable, as a new pinhole leak may appear soon after requiring endless tank emptying and repair.
Frank

Sailingfun

Member III
Pinholes.. uff!! I used to live on a steel houseboat so the fight against pinholes was endless. I am still grateful for being able to sell that thing. So when my Ericson diesel tank start developed a pinhole, I quick out the offender and replace it for a brand new Moeller plastic tank.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
But only if you clean the area to bare metal first. Otherwise the "repair" may be quite temporary.
i-7VzbwvF-X4.jpg

btw - PUR-15 was made for slosh sealing the inside of gas/diesel tanks.

garryh

Member III
there is also a process called 'poultice corrosion'... if you don't get to clean metal and apply a covering of any kind, you are sealing in the corrosion which then accelerates.