• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

The story so far - New(ish) E36RH Owner

saphira36

Member II
In April of this year my wife and I stumbled upon hull 22 of the Ericson 36's. Being completely honest when we saw her we didn't have any idea what we'd found. In fact, we didn't actually know how to sail... To us she was a pretty, and big sailboat (big enough for our 4 kids to stay with us on the weekends) for a reasonable price. I don't know what made the previous owners accept our offer. They loved her very much, and it showed, but the circumstances of life had put them in a place where they couldn't take care of her anymore. We're so grateful they did though!

Since that fateful day we've
Replaced the exhaust system (exhaust riser, hose, and muffler)
Replaced the batteries
Changed the Oil
Changed the coolant
Replaced the water pump impeller
Replaced the fuel tank
Replaced the coolant lines
Serviced the coolant tank and heat exchanger
Got the engine started! (yes, we bought a boat without a known working engine)
Had both sails repaired
Gotten sort of drunk with club mates
Repaired the bimini cover
Replaced the toilet
Replaced the mainsheet and mainsheet blocks
Replaced the furling line
Replaced the main halyard
Had the backstay adjuster piston and pump rebuilt
Replaced the fridge
Dumped the contents of the fridge and everything stacked on the nav station onto the cabin sole (more than once)
Rebuilt the port setee (some creative license was taken with the original design)
Hauled and cleaned the bottom (last weekend, suggestion to anyone else new - DO THIS FIRST!!!!)
Had a stringer repaired and all motor mounts replaced and aligned the engine
Bought a racing headsail (we didn't really want a racing headsail, we wanted a smaller headsail but found a deal on a used racing sail and LOVE IT)
Participated in 3 races (2 on our boat)
Made themed cushions and blankets
Read a Christian Williams book
Joined the greatest yacht club on Lake Texoma
Gotten really drunk with club mates
Sailed ~150nm... maybe more
Learned how to dock (mostly, lol)
Sworn off of rum
Got a clean bill of health from a rigging inspector
Serviced a winch (ok, mainly my oldest son did that)
Learned how to sail? (Ok, learned that it's a day to learn, lifetime to master sort of endeavor)
Run out of diesel
Learned that TowBoatUS on our lake won't deliver diesel because most people don't know how to bleed diesel engines
Run aground 4 times (1 of the times we were being towed so is that really our fault?)
Forgiven rum for our own decisions and decided to try moderation
Loved absolutely every minute of it!
... and so much more

Along the way you all on this forum have been a tremendous source of information and encouragement! Although there have been a great many of you to help out, Mark Vone has really gone above and beyond fielding an insane number of private messages. Thank you so much to Mark and to the rest of you for generally being awesome!

As much as we've done there's still so much we want to do that I'm sure we'll be annoying you with soon. With that said I'll just wrap it up with some pictures.

Attachments

• CleaningSaphira.jpg
    CleaningSaphira.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 49
  • image000000_2.jpg
    image000000_2.jpg
    581.1 KB · Views: 48
  • SaphiraSailingCabintop.jpg
    SaphiraSailingCabintop.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 48
  • SaphiraBowShot.jpg
    SaphiraBowShot.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 49

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Just woke up, and read your post. Now so tired that I need a nap!
Even with that rum acting as a sedative/reward, that's a LOT of work accomplished.
:)
Sounds like you found a way to get real satisfaction out a season of pandemic and social separation!
That's a solid list of upgrades and deferred maintenance tackled.

Keep on posting!!
:egrin:

SpudE36RH

Member I
In April of this year my wife and I stumbled upon hull 22 of the Ericson 36's. Being completely honest when we saw her we didn't have any idea what we'd found. In fact, we didn't actually know how to sail... To us she was a pretty, and big sailboat (big enough for our 4 kids to stay with us on the weekends) for a reasonable price. I don't know what made the previous owners accept our offer. They loved her very much, and it showed, but the circumstances of life had put them in a place where they couldn't take care of her anymore. We're so grateful they did though!

Replaced the batteries
Changed the Oil
Changed the coolant
Replaced the fuel tank
Had both sails repaired
Replaced the toilet
Replaced the fridge
Dumped the contents of the fridge and everything stacked on the nav station onto the cabin sole (more than once)
Rebuilt the port setee (some creative license was taken with the original design)
Hauled and cleaned the bottom (last weekend, suggestion to anyone else new - DO THIS FIRST!!!!)
Bought a racing headsail (we didn't really want a racing headsail, we wanted a smaller headsail but found a deal on a used racing sail and LOVE IT)
Sworn off of rum
Learned how to sail? (Ok, learned that it's a day to learn, lifetime to master sort of endeavor)
Run out of diesel
Learned that TowBoatUS on our lake won't deliver diesel because most people don't know how to bleed diesel engines
Run aground 4 times (1 of the times we were being towed so is that really our fault?)
... and so much more

Along the way you all on this forum have been a tremendous source of information and encouragement! Although there have been a great many of you to help out, Mark Vone has really gone above and beyond fielding an insane number of private messages. Thank you so much to Mark and to the rest of you for generally being awesome!

As much as we've done there's still so much we want to do that I'm sure we'll be annoying you with soon. With that said I'll just wrap it up with some pictures.
Hi guys,

We have #18 Near Toronto_Only E36RH in Canada that we know of.
J&C

saphira36

Member II
Hey there! Glory Days! I actually already had your boat on my list somehow. (Yes I'm making my own list of E36 RH's even though Mark (Glide) already has one with much more info.

Nice to hear from you! When does your sailing season start? We had Saphira out last weekend for the first time this year. Was a fantastic ~16nm jaunt around the lake!

Stuphoto

Member III
That is a Long List of accomplishments achieved in a short period of time.
Now I feel Lazy
Congrats on your boat, and glad she landed in good hands.

SpudE36RH

Member I
Hey there! Glory Days! I actually already had your boat on my list somehow. (Yes I'm making my own list of E36 RH's even though Mark (Glide) already has one with much more info.

Nice to hear from you! When does your sailing season start? aphira out last weekend for the first time this year. Was a fantastic ~16nm jaunt around the la we

don't launch untilke!

Hi,

Dean Hupp

E36 Ron Holland

Nice to hear from you! When does your sailing season start? We had Saphira out last weekend for the first time this year. Was a fantastic ~16nm jaunt around the lake!
Hello saphira36, I just bought hull #30 located in San Francisco Bay. Does anyone have insight into running Raymarine wind Instrument cable down the mast? Thanks for any help!

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Nice job!

When you get tired of blaming it on the rum, there's always whiskey, tequila, wine, etc, etc. Fortunately, this responsibility shirking can go on for a long, long time....

saphira36

Member II
Congrats Dean, that's awesome! She's an awesome boat and will serve you well I'm sure! Unfortunately I don't know about running the cable but am eager to hear how it goes because that's on the list for me as well (eventually).

Kenneth, I've pretty much resolved myself to just drinking ultra light beer. I much prefer stouts and porters but I can drink a LOT of Mich Ultra and survive. :)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Dean, if it comes to that (running new cable), consider a Raymarine wireless anemometer. They have some good points, and I like mine.

SpudE36RH

Member I

Nice to hear from you! When does your sailing season start? We had Saphir

a out last weekend for the first time this year.

Sorry for delay but my awful Samsung and this site don't get along very frustrating. We don't launch until May'ish .But as you know the keel is a bit long-but good trade off.Our boat has some history. Britton Chance added 5 inches to the keel at the factory for the first owner. Not documented but a former commodore of NYC. So we draw 6'8". Third owner Sailsteve on this site, Had her 15 years and put the love into her.We are still in touch. My mission is to get her back to better than brochure state,. I have pulled off old headliners and opening ports, most teak, ready to take off all deck hardware, paint the deck and non skid, re bed deck fittings clean, caulk. I know it will be a lot of work but anything to stop incessant leaks!!!!! I do have time as traditionally we are first out last in due to water level. Anyway glad there are more 'live' owners of the 36RH out there. I purposely haven't bought Ericson decals to keep them guessing-LOL. Iactually called Ron Holland and spoke to him about cutting keel down to spec-not a worry he said and was intrigued about the addition to it. Anyway, Town got me a great slip and no cutting-yahoo! Okay gotta go, keep in touch. John and Claudia

Attachments

• 20200701_172427.jpg
    20200701_172427.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200812_151730.jpg
    20200812_151730.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200701_192116.jpg
    20200701_192116.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 30

dcoyle

Member III
Your lucky to have found a 36RH! There is an 82 at my club, same owner since it was new and that boat is fast! Unfortunately it hasnt had much maintenance and cabin is a mess. We sail a 33RH and the 36 can beat us without a problem!

Dean Hupp

E36 Ron Holland
Congrats Dean, that's awesome! She's an awesome boat and will serve you well I'm sure! Unfortunately I don't know about running the cable but am eager to hear how it goes because that's on the list for me as well (eventually).

Kenneth, I've pretty much resolved myself to just drinking ultra light beer. I much prefer stouts and porters but I can drink a LOT of Mich Ultra and survive. :)
Hello Saphira I got the wind cable ran. On top of mast was two pre drilled holes plugged with silicone. I opened one up, attached a few barrel fishing weights to the cable and it dropped all the way through the mast to the foot at the sole. There was an access plate there where I fished out the cable. That was the easy part!E2353D6B-60B0-43A5-A2A0-620D2F53415D.jpeg

Dean Hupp

E36 Ron Holland
Dean, if it comes to that (running new cable), consider a Raymarine wireless anemometer. They have some good points, and I like mine.
Thanks Christian. I did look at those but chose the cable version. The cable dropped straight through without a hitch. There are no blocks in the mast.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Nice set of accomplishments. You have the big sister of my boat, the E33RH - not many of either were made, but I have enjoyed sailing my boat for 2 years so far. Besides the overall size differences, the main difference between the 33 and the 36 is the rig (fractional on the 33 and with optional running back stays ). I just renewed the 5 year coast guard registration so she‘s a keeper.

Robid

Replaced the batteries
Changed the Oil
Changed the coolant
Replaced the fuel tank
Had both sails repaired
Replaced the toilet
Replaced the fridge
Sworn off of rum
Run out of diesel
... and so much more

I love your list and truely appreciate any pictures. I just purchased Hull #1 and see similar "issues". I am mostly tracing systems and wondering why things are as they are. For instance someone mentioned the boat came out as a tiller version....this explains the brand new "emergency" tiller with brand new canvas that could never be used because a big steering stand is in the way. Today I realized the Main Traveler was moved from just at the entrance back to the steering stand. The steering stand which was never there. I then wondered how I would get my old (72) fat (220) ass into the bowels through the cockpit access.....I found a hunk of cut fiberglass in the bilges where the access was "enlarged", thank you very much. Buying a new boat would be so boring and you would never know the history.

Robid

Here are a list of questions:

Is your heat exchanger still mounted on the back of your engine? Mine is just laying on the side with gops of hoses.

Is your electric water heater just aft of the shaft?

Are your cockpit drains really long hoses to the back drains?

Where doe the baby back stays go?

Do you have a forward wire stay about six inches forward of the mast?

Have you done anything with the septic system?

These are of course immedicate questions.

regardd

Rob Boyle
San Diego