• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Thinking of moving to Santa Cruz, how does the sailing compare to SF Bay?

Epenn

1985 E30+, San Francisco, CA
I love that the (SF) bay is extra windy and (mostly) fun all year. It's also very scenic. Is it worth leaving my boat in SF and driving up, or is sailing the Monterey Bay just as good?

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
(Copy of pM)
Hi Epenn,
I really like the sailing in Santa Cruz. It probably doesn’t get any easier then Santa Cruz. There isn’t much to run into once out of the harbor and no current to speak of. You can sail in close near the Wharf and have light wind - flat seas or head out and usually find as much (or more) wind that you might want. It’s an active sailing harbor. Getting a slip might be tough. There is a long waiting list for the lower harbor (bay side of the bridge). I forget if the E30+ is deck stepped if it is you can tabernacle the mast and that opens up the upper harbor for possible slips, still a waiting list but shorter I think. I recently moved to Corvallis Oregon and had planned on bringing my E27 to Newport but so far I have been disappointed with Newport as a sailing venue. I may leave my boat in Santa Cruz for the winter and visit from time to time then figure out what I want to do next year. Hope this helps.