• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Thirty Year owners?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I was just reading an article about listing owners with the same boat, for three decades plus, in Latitude 38.
I wonder how many of our EY owners have done this?
Thirty years, same Ericson (or Olson) ?
(We are not there yet, having another two years to go.)

:egrin:

Jerry VB

E32-3 / M-25XP
We had our Ericson 27 for 27 years. Went from 0 kids to 3 kids and back to 0 kids. Upgraded to a 32-3 two years ago; wanted a few more creature comforts.

Planning on 32 years with her...

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I closed on my boat on November 29, 1991, the day after Thanksgiving. I had just moved to SoCal to begin my post-ROTC Navy duty, and had discovered that my tax-free Navy housing allowance would pay off a boat and slip fees if I lived aboard. I'd been aiming for 29-30 feet but this guy in Marina del Rey was hellbent on getting rid of his Ericson 32 (actually his girlfriend was; she clearly detested the boat), so we struck a deal I couldn't refuse. I had no idea this would be a 30+ year thing. I have often wondered how he and his girlfriend fared.

Lawdog

Member III
Bought my E38 on EBay in December 2003, did the Newport to Ensenada in 2004 and trucked her from Newport, Ca to Newport , RI in June 2004, sailed to Maine in August 2004 and been here since!

Attachments

• 16ACEE65-6E36-46E9-8610-043135CAEF29.jpeg
    16ACEE65-6E36-46E9-8610-043135CAEF29.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 19

kapnkd

kapnkd
I was just reading an article about listing owners with the same boat, for three decades plus, in Latitude 38.
I wonder how many of our EY owners have done this?
Thirty years, same Ericson (or Olson) ?
(We are not there yet, having another two years to go.)

:egrin:
Bought my E-32 brand new in 1973 and have owned her ever since. (49 years)

Started out to trade up from a 22’ to a 27’ and wanted to see the then new E-27. Florida dealer didn’t have a 27 but did have a 32, so just HAD to at least take a look.

Saw the “T” cockpit and my heartbeat doubled! …Slid the companion way open and it was an immediate love affair!

We later grew into the boat being the perfect size with the arrival of our son. I’ve been tempted over the years to again move up in size but resisted given a number of reasons plus the boat kind of becoming a family member with so many shared memories onboard.

She will be handed down to my son who cares for and loves her as much as I have.
679902EA-0689-4B1C-BA21-75D131A5FE3D.jpeg

dcoyle

Member III
Not quite 30 years but… In 2003 when I was 45 we bought our E33 from the original owner. Coincidentally he was 45 in 1982 when he purchased the boat brand new. We had twin 5 year olds and a 3 year old at the time, and it had been 6 years since we sold our Pearson 26. The Ericson was so much faster than we were accustomed to I guess it took 2 seasons before we sailed with both the main and jib up at same time. We had a blast cruising the Maine coast as my kids grew up, lots of weekend trips and a 2 week cruise every summer. Great memories!! My wife & I still cruise occasionally and I race her as often as possible. She is still very competitive!!

kapnkd

kapnkd
Not quite 30 years but… In 2003 when I was 45 we bought our E33 from the original owner. Coincidentally he was 45 in 1982 when he purchased the boat brand new. We had twin 5 year olds and a 3 year old at the time, and it had been 6 years since we sold our Pearson 26. The Ericson was so much faster than we were accustomed to I guess it took 2 seasons before we sailed with both the main and jib up at same time. We had a blast cruising the Maine coast as my kids grew up, lots of weekend trips and a 2 week cruise every summer. Great memories!! My wife & I still cruise occasionally and I race her as often as possible. She is still very competitive!!
Yep!! Ericson’s are definitely competitive as well as being an excellent cruiser. I was the cruiser but as my son grew, she was transformed into a racer and he got extremely good at it! (Photo below shows some of the many flags taken…including a first overall in the ‘99 Trans Erie Race. That time record stood in our class for 10 years.
94C6743F-765F-49FA-BDFB-5531ABB0DA65.jpeg

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I closed on my boat on November 29, 1991, the day after Thanksgiving. I had just moved to SoCal to begin my post-ROTC Navy duty, and had discovered that my tax-free Navy housing allowance would pay off a boat and slip fees if I lived aboard. I'd been aiming for 29-30 feet but this guy in Marina del Rey was hellbent on getting rid of his Ericson 32 (actually his girlfriend was; she clearly detested the boat), so we struck a deal I couldn't refuse. I had no idea this would be a 30+ year thing. I have often wondered how he and his girlfriend fared.
A situation I saw play out several times at the navy marina in San Diego was fellow resident living the bachelor lifestyle on his boat, then meet a girl who moved on with him. Within months they moved off with the explanation 'She wants more space and it is harder to sail now with so much stuff onboard.' They would not be seen for months, and then a For Sale sign would go up: 'We never use the boat anymore.'

I am approaching my silver anniversary with Freyja.

dcoyle

Member III
Yep!! Ericson’s are definitely competitive as well as being an excellent cruiser. I was the cruiser but as my son grew, she was transformed into a racer and he got extremely good at it! (Photo below shows some of the many flags taken…including a first overall in the ‘99 Trans Erie Race. That time record stood in our class for 10 years.
View attachment 44636

dcoyle

Member III
That is a pretty neat race record! Another interesting bit of nostalgia, the previous owner of my 33 had an E32 prior to purchasing the E33. He went to a boat show and saw the 33, I guess he bought her at the show. He said he made money on the sale of the E32.

Mary Ross

We have owned Danran our 1980 E-38 since Dec 31, 1986. We have never regretted that purchase. During our 36 years together Danran has evolved with us. From daysails, to weekend cruises with our sailing club, weeklong vacations in the San Juan Islands, selling the house and moving aboard for 10 years, taking a one year sabattical and sailing to Mexico and Hawaii and living a cruising dream, making the sad decision to move back on shore but still spending a month or so living on the boat sailing each summer. So much joy so many memories The years have just flown by. Now we are in our 70's and after this years summer cruise plans were cut short when a medical emergency required a Coast Guard Med evac of my husband (which fortunately had a happy ending) We now realize it is time to let someone new experience the joy that a great , comfortable cruising boat like Danran can bring to ones life. I put the For Sale sign on Dan a couple of days ago. Really Really a sad sad day for me. Danran has been such a huge part of our lives. Really hope someone will find as much happiness on board Dan as we have.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Similar circumstances, my first wife when first buying the E-32 were sadly divorced in 75. I had 6 years of bachelorhood before finally settling down again.

At that time, I worked for a major airline in Miami and every time I opened an arriving airplane door, at least 4 to 8 single flight attendants stepped off! Needless to say, with Miami layovers, they LOVED the opportunity for a Miami sailboat ride and even a then fantastic seafood meal at the Miami Yacht Club I belonged to was a great line!! …As a young 30 year old guy, I actually/truly LIVED THE DREAM every single guy alive could have had!!!

Moving on! …The gal I later totally fell in love with, married and still am captivated by was one of those flight attendants who totally 756FFF48-8ED1-4D48-B780-3CF94F064654.jpeg91193B00-E41E-4214-AE35-0E6CA688A26E.jpegstole my heart and totally settled me down!

Early on she too tried to have me get rid of the boat, knowing it had a bachelors life aboard it. …I simply responded that, “If/when the boat goes, I WILL BE ON IT!”

Years later, we are ALL still here!!!

kapnkd

kapnkd
My Dad was the second owner of OtJ when he bought it in 1983, so between the two of us we are at 39 years!
“ALL in the Family” times certainly counts as one!

Boats and even long time owned cars that are cared for and enjoyed easily become family members. (I’ve also got a 67 Corvette bought from a friend in 72 {50 years ago}). Both have (to us anyway) a personality of sorts and are indeed part of the family for sure. 213E7482-2041-47DB-BB9C-D07F095CCEC8.jpeg2F31AEBC-40D8-4CA3-B2B5-71B913E88244.jpeg