• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

This is One Tough Little Boat [Renovating a 1973 E25 CB]

Stuphoto

Member III
I bought my 73 25'CB last November, knowing there were some issues above the waterline.
Since then I discovered that a former owner must have hit something Hard and damaged the bow under the waterline.
They actually used Flex Seal tape on the outside and cocking on the inside for the repairs.

It of course failed, and I had to beach her not too long ago for a quick repair seen here.
20170715_213632~2.JPG

Anyway as you can see I have finally gotten her on the hard.
Sorry for the lousy image quality, but here is some of the damage.
20221028_144440A.jpg
This hole is around the size of a Golf Ball.

I have started the repair.
20221028_144307A.jpg

The deep cracks in the bow reach around 4 feet back, so my guess is someone ran it onto a reef.
However it hardly took on any water until Late June.
20170715_213230.JPG
Again after starting the repairs.
20221028_134922A.jpg

I am still scratching my head, wondering how she didn't sink.

Oddly enough she still had the original centerboard until today.
20221028_134945A.jpg
I don't know how it didn't fall off years ago.
I somehow also have enough left to use as a pattern.

The centerboard pin was a bugger to get out. I think it is supposed to be straight.
20221028_144328A.jpg

Anyway I have it on the hard until April, so I should have enough time to get everything fixed, repaint her and have her looking amazing for her 50th birthday.

Oh the serial number ends with the letter G. So I am thinking, she is probably the seventh one made.

Oh I got her for $2,000 Canadian with a good running Honda 9.9 which I could probably sell for $2,000 today.
So I think I still did alright with the purchase.
Plus I actually like doing this sort of repairs anyway.

Stuphoto

Member III
Sorry for the long absence,
I didn't get much done over the winter due to the weather and work.

I got back to the boat about a week ago, and am really getting too it.

Since I couldn't find any suitable rub rail, I decided to just delete it.

This area spent some time on the rocks and did a fair amount of damage before buying it.
The first photo was during the repair and the second photo after the primer.

IMG_20230404_164952644.jpgSeveral days of work and 4 layers of glass later
IMG_20230410_184427759.jpg

And how the port side looks now.
IMG_20230410_184411278.jpg

The rub rail on the Starboard side is well on the way but needs at least 2 days of work before I can prime it.

My goal is to splash down by May 1st, and during that time I will have all the hull repairs finished,
New bulkheads,
Cleats mid ship, plus aft for my tender,
Anchor roller,
Plus an electric cooktop installed.
I don't think I will have much time for anything else.

I am putting off the deck, and synthetic rigging until next year.

I should have an update in a few days.

Stuphoto

Member III
Thank you Bepi,
I could honestly make it look a little better. However it would probably take a couple weeks longer to make it perfect and I would rather go sailing than spend the summer in the boat yard.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Oh the serial number ends with the letter G. So I am thinking, she is probably the seventh one made.

Random info, for a 1973 boat the hull number decodes like this:

pre-1984 HIN.png

So yours probably has ERY for the manufacturer code, "25" for the next two digits to reflect the model, then the next three digits reflect the actual hull number. the last 4 characters are the year and month it was built, so the "G" at the end means it was built in February.

(the Coast Guard changed the format in 1984, so 1985 and newer boats decode differently.)

$.02
Bruce

windblown

Member III
The deep cracks in the bow reach around 4 feet back, so my guess is someone ran it onto a reef.
However it hardly took on any water until Late June.
View attachment 44847
I am still scratching my head, wondering how she didn't sink.
Sounds like you're just the right Skipper to keep her afloat for years to come; she's fortunate to have you!
Like you, I have no idea how she stayed afloat. I did once paddle 75 miles in a cedar canoe with a week's worth of gear and supplies and a 4" hole in the bottom patched with nothing but duct tape. . .

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
Sounds like you're just the right Skipper to keep her afloat for years to come; she's fortunate to have you!
Like you, I have no idea how she stayed afloat. I did once paddle 75 miles in a cedar canoe with a week's worth of gear and supplies and a 4" hole in the bottom patched with nothing but duct tape. . .
Boundary waters?

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I'm guessing you've already seen the E25CB blog, right? Nice work by the way! :egrin:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I replaced my old aluminum and rubber rail last season with strips of Versatex PVC plastic “wood” which is sold in 18’ lengths of 2x6 dimension. Using a table saw, I cut it in half lengthwise, channeled out a slot with a dado blade, routed the edges, sanded everything that had been cut, wiped it with acetone, and put it onto the boat with one joint on each side, ignoring the skepticism of some of my fellow club members. They shut up when they saw the result and two of them asked where I sourced the Versatex.

Attachments

• IMG_5424.jpeg
    IMG_5424.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5425.jpeg
    IMG_5425.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 33

windblown

Member III
Boundary waters?
Actually, NY Canals, five days from Seneca Lake to Rochester, NY. Four women, two cedar canoes. It was a delightful, memorable paddle experience with some unexpected challenges: that sharp rock or obstacle hidden by high spring water that tore a hole in canoe, locks that were not operating (to prevent sending a surges of water that would add to flooding downstream), and a 3.5 knot current coming at us the whole way. I have paddled the Boundary waters--also delightful and memorable-- but always in aluminum canoes.

Stuphoto

Member III
Thank you everyone,
And that sounds like quite the adventure Windblown,

I hit a barnacle covered rock with my skin on frame kayak and suddenly had 4 holes in the fabric.
I sure paddled close to shore quickly and thankfully didn't have to go far.

I love boats you can repair quickly if needed, and count duct tape as a temporary repair.

I should have a couple more photos in a couple days.
I have 1 new bulkhead in, and the Starboard side started.
Plus am picking up my ceramic cooktop tomorrow.
Some days I think my launch target is too optimistic, and the next day I think I can make it.

Stuphoto

Member III
I am so excited,
My new centerboard pin has arrived.
IMG_20230418_112205515.jpg
The bottom one is most likely the original.
I had the bronze bushing made at the same time.

And I picked up my new to me cooktop yesterday
IMG_20230418_112607125.jpg
It is going where the original was.

I am also receiving a new Chinese diesel heater tomorrow, and a new Hummingbird depth sounder on Monday.

Lots of work ahead now

Stuphoto

Member III
I've been too busy the last couple weeks to respond.

The painting will be done tomorrow.
But here is how she is looking now.

IMG_20230515_202309580.jpg
She is just getting 1 more coat of white so I doubt you will see a difference in the photos.

Those are flush mount LED lights
I have ordered a close match for the stern but don't expect them in for a couple weeks.

The transom
IMG_20230516_150330663.jpg
Where the wire is hanging out was where the antenna coaxial cable was sticking out and where the new stern light is going.

I am certain everyone here knows the yellow on the side follows the original sheer stripe?
However it seems to surprise most non Ericson owners.
I honestly didn't do much filling, once the original joint was ground off it had a decent shape.

The signage should be in later today, however I have to let the paint cure for about a month and can't install it.
Too bad, I think everyone here would love the new name and the design I chose.

I am pretty much just winding down the project for the season, so I doubt I will post much over the next couple weeks.

Stuphoto

Member III
Just a quick update,
My port side bulkhead is pretty much done.

As you can see there was an amazing spot for a fire extinguisher.

I always felt it would make a nice storage area for plates, a little frequently used food and so on.

So now mine has just that.
The bottom 3 photos are the little cabinet at the bottom being opened.
The bottom retaining board is positioned just high enough for it to swing past.

There is still 70 inches of room on the berth. Just enough length for me to sleep on if required.
IMG_20230601_152739253.jpgIMG_20230601_152943848.jpgIMG_20230601_152952148.jpgIMG_20230601_153001162.jpg

Stuphoto

Member III
It looks like I don't visit here often enough,

The sailing this summer went well.
The only issues being a spun propeller and I ripped the ( possibly original ) mainsail with a 30+ knot gust. I had already been looking into a used sail and had it days later.

I didn't travel as much as I wanted to, but that wasn't the boats fault.

She treated me quite well, easily hit 6+ knots according to navionics in moderate winds and my favorite part matched the speed of some tailwinds making it feel like I was in a bubble.

I never brought her to her full speed and didn't feel the need too.

Now that it's autumn in the Pacific Northwest and the rain has started I was happy discovering
that the waterfalls inside during any heavy rain are gone. Deleting the rubrails made this difference, but I hope I never have to do that job again.

Now it's almost dry, the only slow leaks coming from 2 stanchions.
All of which are getting removed and replaced in the spring.

I will most likely be pulling her on the hard again in 5 weeks, and heading North again for work.
My only major plans before launching her again are new stanchions, new mainsail, and Jib, new Mercury 5 horse extra long shaft and of course new bottom paint.
I know the Mercury may be a little undersized, but I am getting tired of lifting a 100lb 9.9 ☹️

Just a photo of her at anchor and her temp home at Pender Harbour, BC
You can see why I am looking forward to getting new sails.
image.jpgIMG_20231007_190400983.jpg

Stuphoto

Member III
We are blessed with an Indian Summer, so I decided to take advantage of it by installing a larger anchor pipe.
The ( possibly ) original one was missing the cap when I bought the boat and too small for the rope to chain loops.

IMG_20231027_142444166.jpg

My chain easily fits in the locker now.
IMG_20231029_133750290.jpg

With 200' of 1/2 inch line, 50' of 1/4 inch chain and a 33 pound Bruce anchor my 25' boat doesn't seem to drag anchor where others do. However it's a bugger to lift without a windlass
IMG_20231029_133826862.jpg

While I was making bigger holes in my Ericson I decided to go against some advice my mom used to give me, and make some holes in a tender I recently got.
IMG_20231028_125203948.jpgIMG_20231029_135015509.jpg

IMG_20231029_131707281.jpg

Oddly enough she stopped giving me that advice when she noticed the boats still float after I cut and drill these holes.

I think my next 2 tasks are hooking up the diesel heater and cleaning her up.
Then enjoying it as much as possible.

Oh next spring this tender will be painted to match the big boat.