• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Throttle Cable Reversed!

Chschaus

"Voila"
I changed my throttle and shift cable on my 35-3 SS pedistal. I ran the new cable using the old cable as a messenger. the shift cable works great after a few adjustments. However, the throttle is now reversed! Push forward to decrease and pull back to increase. For my life, I can't figure out how I screwed this up.
Has anyone had this problem?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My guess is that the throttle lever arm inside the pedestal got turned around during reassembly. Just reverse it.

Pednew6-001.jpg

Chschaus

"Voila"
The cable connection is forward of the lever shaft, there is not room to place it pointing aft. I am confused how flipping will make a difference.

Jerry VB

E32-3 / M-25XP
I changed my throttle and shift cable on my 35-3 SS pedistal. I ran the new cable using the old cable as a messenger. the shift cable works great after a few adjustments. However, the throttle is now reversed! Push forward to decrease and pull back to increase. For my life, I can't figure out how I screwed this up.
Has anyone had this problem?
On my engine the throttle lever at the engine has a hole above the pivot point (red) and one below the pivot point (green). If your engine has a similar setup, you need to switch from the upper hole to the lower or vice versa.

1656345561207.png

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Boat year & engine info would help narrow it down. But my guess is same as Jerry's.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Been living with that problem since installing our Westerbeke 22b back in ‘92. We’ve got the Yacht Specialties Pedestal with no ability to reverse the connection or any ability for the same on the engine as well.

Frustrating to say the least! Has anyone had similar issues they were able to solve??

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The principle is simple, but the fabrication can be challenging. When we changed out the OEM Universal diesel for a new Betamarine, the throttle did need to be reversed. Interestingly enough the old Universal did have a little actuation reverser mounted on the engine, as supplied by Universal. Our engine installer fabricated one for the new Betamarine. I have a picture of it in a blog entry. The mechanism is simple, but then you have to find a place to attach it.

Picture #2 in this entry shows it well, and I could take some more if requested.

kapnkd

kapnkd
The principle is simple, but the fabrication can be challenging. When we changed out the OEM Universal diesel for a new Betamarine, the throttle did need to be reversed. Interestingly enough the old Universal did have a little actuation reverser mounted on the engine, as supplied by Universal. Our engine installer fabricated one for the new Betamarine. I have a picture of it in a blog entry. The mechanism is simple, but then you have to find a place to attach it.

Picture #2 in this entry shows it well, and I could take some more if requested.
Nicely done Loren!! …Wish we had that kind of engine compartment room to provide for a similar system or some sort of bell crank to reverse the push/pull efforts.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The 5432 throttle is horizontal, with what looks like a reversible fitting. But reversing wouldn't work, because the control cable wouldn't clear the injector lines if connected at the other end. (Cable is disconnected in photo 2)

throttle 5432.JPG...2 throttle 5432.JPG

Chschaus

"Voila"
On my engine the throttle lever at the engine has a hole above the pivot point (red) and one below the pivot point (green). If your engine has a similar setup, you need to switch from the upper hole to the lower or vice versa.

View attachment 43401
That was it Jerry, THANK YOU. On our engine that lever is accessible from under the galley sink and from above, so reinstalling the cable was kind of by feel as you can't really get a good view. felt one of the holes and hooked it up not realizing there was another. Thank you again and thank you to all who responded, you guys are awesome.

C.J.B

I have this same issue on the Universal engine on my E29. Hoping the fix is simple like Jerry describes using higher/ lower attachment on the throttle lever.

wayneking

1986 Ericson 38-200

Loren, I also have a Betamarine. I have been wanting to fix my reversed throttle and stumbled upon this thread. Looks like I would have to do the same thing you did. Just wanted to confirm that (before I open up the pedestal) there is no part of the linkage in the pedestal that can be reversed to make the throttle lever work correctly.
Wayne K