• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Thru-hulls, engine raw water intake, and others

mordust

Member II
I think I will change out the thru-hull/ seacocks below the galley sink in my E32-3.
Votes for Marelon or bronze replacements.
Also, please read my reply in the " Cockpit drains to bottom" thread.
Thanks
Bob

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I recommend bronze for both the thru-hulls and proper bronze seacocks. I have no experience with plastic, so I can't comment further except that the bronze is stronger and will take abuse that plastic may not, both during installation and normal use. Why are you planning to replace the thru-hulls? I did replace the thru-hulls under my sink even though they were fine, as it turned out, but it was a pain (for access especially, had to remove the sink) because one of the original sizes was no longer available. I had to cut one of the thru-hull necks to get it out. I went forward with the replacement, but it may not have been necessary for all of them. If you can be careful in your application of force on removing the thru-hulls you may find they are fine and compatible with your choice of seacocks. You may find it a challenge to orient the seacock handles so that they don't interfere with each other. :)

There's nothing wrong with removing the thru-hulls and inspecting them and then re-bedding them if they're OK.

I did not drill holes through the hull and the backing blocks to prevent the seacocks from turning after installation. Instead, I used 3/4 inch thick fiberglass plank for the thru-hull backing plates, which I then threaded for the proper diameter bronze hex screws. That totally avoided drilling 12 holes through the hull. The thick, hard backing block also reduces the chances you'll have to shorten the neck of the thru-hull to get it to seat.

Good luck with the project.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
While the use of the word was probably unintended, please do not ever use plastic (as in cast resin) for valves connected to thru hulls.
Use either bronze or Marelon from Forespar. Both choices come in separate valves or the much-stronger one piece seacock assembly.
I slightly prefer the Marelon fittings, because they cannot suffer electrolysis. so that's what we have.

Ours are "bedded" to their backing plates and the hull itself by being installed with thickened epoxy rather than sealant. Once set, the outside 'lip' was ground off smooth, leaving the attachment base mounted permanently to the hull.

Prior threads:

And there are lots of other good threads on the subject.