• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Time to Call the Coast Guard [12-minute video]

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I really like how you narrate things...both informative and humorous.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Good work, as always.

What was your concern about letting the fellows board through the regular lifeline gate? That they would yank a stanchion out?

The whole "fire underfoot" thing seems strange. I wonder how many times the Coast Guard has boarded a vessel and discovered a fire unknown to the boat operators?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, stays are better. Pitching boats, big heavy guys with gear.

I asked the Coast Guard to comment last week on the "fire in the bilge" stuff. They watched the video and scratched their heads--it's not a specific protocol question. Crew just first ensure their own safety. A better explanation appears in a viewer comment:

fernando pratesi

37 minutes ago
...I just got out of the Coast Guard as a Coxswain and boarding officer. The bilge/ engine room safety checks seem ridiculous - remember, not every ship is a beautiful E 38. Those checks came about after years of stumbling upon egregious or imminent safety issues mid-boarding. Following a Coastie fatality, a boarding party immediately ensuring the seaworthiness of the vessel became policy. Those boardings are annoying for all involved. I did not enjoy doing them. But you’d be amazed at the blatant disregard for safety and preparedness out there, which is really all they’re looking for. Not to bring the letter of the law down on you. Expired flares? No big deal Skipper. Here’s a warning. Enjoy the sail to Hawaii...

gadangit

Member III
Christian, did you drop any sail or otherwise change anything while these guys were preparing to board with their big black boots?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I offered to heave to, but they declined. It may have been easier to keep moving at 2-3 knots. No damage from their gear.

gadangit

Member III
Both times I've been onboard a boat when boarded by CBP, they've left black boot prints. On our boat, I didn't mind, we are just not that into it. The boat captain on the J-44 was having a silent conniption fit. He keeps a pretty tight ship.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
I am awfully glad to see the Coasties when I am out. Never had a problem with them. Navy Police? That's another story. They are so touchy about their submarines and aircraft carriers.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
These coast guardsmen have about as much sea legs as an elephant...

Though i havent been pulled over yet, i know plenty of people who have recently including my father and brother in law.

This behavior by the coast guard is relatively new in our waters and i question the motives behind it.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Chris, re Post #7:

rob bennett
17 hours ago
As a member of the Coast Guard on board cutters in both Miami and Marina del Rey, and a senior boarding party member, I couldn't count how many sail boats I've boarded, and some I've siezed with both MJ and Cocaine on board. I NEVER and NEVER let my team board a sail boat or yacht with boots. We always, our of respect for the boat owners and their vessels, wore boat shoes. I did wear boots when boarding fishing vessels or freighters. If it was a routine boarding, we tried to be as professional and pleasant as possible. I loved my time in the Coast Guard, the men I worked with and the sailors I met along the way. Happy Sailing

gadangit

Member III
Chris, re Post #7:
rob bennett17 hours ago
As a member of the Coast Guard on board cutters in both Miami and Marina del Rey, and a senior boarding party member, I couldn't count how many sail boats I've boarded, and some I've siezed with both MJ and Cocaine on board. I NEVER and NEVER let my team board a sail boat or yacht with boots. We always, our of respect for the boat owners and their vessels, wore boat shoes. I did wear boots when boarding fishing vessels or freighters. If it was a routine boarding, we tried to be as professional and pleasant as possible. I loved my time in the Coast Guard, the men I worked with and the sailors I met along the way. Happy Sailing
A man who took his profession very seriously and I can appreciate that.
I took "fire in the bilge" inspection to be more of a cursory look in the most obvious spot to hide contraband than a safety issue. I wonder if he performed the same inspection on sailboats? Otherwise, were the drugs just thrown up in the V-berth or something? (Asking for a friend)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Both MJ and cocaine on board.

I had not been aware of Michael Jordan's interest in yachting, although I would have certainly have still asked for an autograph. I have not heard marijuana referred to as "MJ" in many a year--not since Mary Jane introduced me.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
For the first few years I had my little Achilles dinghy, we rowed it but once my mooring was more than a half mile around the point from the dock, I gave in and got a torqueedo. One afternoon as I was lazily motoring back from Aylwin, the big State Police inflatable pulled me over and eventually explained that I needed to have numbers on my boat now that I had a motor. It took him a while to get through to me because he was the retired police chief I had hired a half dozen years ago in Richmond. “Hey Al, nice to see you back on your feet after the heart attack!”” Um, sir, you need numbers.” There was only a week or so left in the season so it was on my next year list to break out the sharpie but on my last day, I headed out and there was the police boat staking out Shelburne point. So I went back to the dock and sailed my C-15 over (no motor but still proudly displaying CF numbers from 1984). Anyway, that’s been my only brush with the law on the water so far and the Admiral re-traces the sharpie mark every year now. I think Al finally retired for good.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
..., and some I've siezed with both MJ and Cocaine on board. ...
I have banned a couple of people from the boat for bringing cannabis despite my explicit instructions. Hopefully they didn't leave any residue. But... searching for a place to run wiring, I reached up inside the "instrument/kitchen cabinets," stuck my fingers in the gap I discovered there between the deck and liner... and encountered an old hypodermic syringe! :oops: Who knows what else could be up in there, or other undiscovered crevices? Gee thanks, PO's.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
The same congress that wrote the Fourth Amendment also gave unlimited power to Revenue Cutters. It just doesn’t apply to them. One of the messy bits in our Constitution that the Founders left future generations to sort out. Apparently assuming that their descendants would somehow become less contentious and better able to forge compromises. :rolleyes:

Groovebass

Nothing gets your attention like a sistership of your own boat sinking without explanation.

I loved that video that Christian posted. When I was a fisheries officer on Saipan in the Northern Marianas Islands, I would go on survey with the local small coast guard cutter. We went all the way up to the island “Maug”. Anywhere in that island chain, which must be at least 750 miles long, or longer, and 400 miles wide, a mariner could request help. Maybe an airplane from Guam, or the coast guard cutter. If the coast guard does not enforce safety guidelines, they would not be able to control their costs for assistance calls or the cost in lost lives.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When I was a fisheries officer on Saipan in the Northern Marianas Islands, I would go on survey with the local small coast guard cutter.
Interesting. I was stationed on Guam in '67-'69. NavComSta...............
Small world!