• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Toilet Filling with Water...?

nich

Hello Ericson community!

I ran into a weird problem after taking the sailboat out a few times. I noticed the toilet is being filled with water (or sewage???). I have not gone to a pump out station since I bought the boat so I am thinking this might be the problem? Any suggestions?

I have an Ericson 32-2

kapnkd

kapnkd
Is the bowl filling mostly on one tack over the other? (Rail down on the head side?)

the water in the bowel is clear, it’s more likely from your head’s water intake side. Especially if you’re leaving the boat’s thru-hull intake open while sailing. Without a vented loop, which the older E32-2 didn’t have, the system can easily act as a siphon and overflow the head.

Your problem could simply (likely) be the head’s inlet water valve shutoff. Look for a dried out/worn out valve seal if your head is an older unit.

The good news is this is easily fixed dockside but remember to close the boat’s thru-hull when working on your head.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
If this doesn't fix your problem, let us know what brand of toilet you have, as some have gaskets on different places.
Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Also, a holding tank should be pumped out pretty much after every use, or at least as soon as possible.

They're not designed to hold effluent a long time, even with Odorlos treatment. Gums things up and stinks.