• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Tool deal? Ratcheting tap wrench

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Been looking for a new t-handle tap wrench, especially one that holds the smaller size taps (like for #6 screws). Came across this on eBay:

About half the price of an Irwin model. Could be Chinese junk (despite, or perhaps because of, the US flag emblem added to the picture) but then, it's a pretty simple device without a lot of large forces on it. The ratcheting feature could be nice for small spaces, and it comes with four metric tap bits.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I bought a yard sale set of cheap taps and dies that only will cut threads in soft metals like aluminum. The steel is so soft that they won't cut threads in stainless steel. If the purchase is for the T-handle it might be worth it.

Teranodon

Member III
I would not buy this. When tapping holes, the standard practice is to advance the tap wrench a half turn or so, then back off to cut the chip. This wrench would make that difficult.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
I would not buy this. When tapping holes, the standard practice is to advance the tap wrench a half turn or so, then back off to cut the chip. This wrench would make that difficult.
+1
Without breaking the chip the shaving can strip the thread being formed.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
or the wrench might have a setting where it doesn't ratchet ... if it's convenient you could check it out in person.