• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Tool Reviews [Master Thread]

Pete the Cat

Member III
I recently bought a power ratchet from Amazon (some Chinese brand for $45) and I like it very much for the major engine servicing jobs. Astronomically speeds up taking your cooling system and heat exchanger projects out for of servicing. I got the idea from watching one of my auto mechanic friends who gets paid to beat the time books. A 5/16" socket on one of these is terrific for dealing with hose clamps in hard to reach places. Maybe not something you carry on board all the time. I prefer a tool bag with lots of pockets for my basic tools so I can see what I am grabbing. Rolls are better for wrenches. Over the years, I need to clean out the tools I am carrying on the boat when I have not used them for a year or two.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This site provides tool reviews. I think it is a little better than advertising or guessing, but how much better...dunno.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
During the on going process of upgrading the instruments at the helm of my E32-3 (check out my video) it was necessary to drill a hole though the 1 inch stainless tubing of the binnacle guard. If you’ve every tried to do this “freehand“ it’s just about impossible because you can’t keep the drill bit in one place, it skirts all over when the drill is turning, and it’s not possible to use a punch either. So what’s a DIYer to do? Well, get on line and buy yourself a ”Drill Steady” jig. I purchased mine on eBay but Sailrite also has them. https://www.sailrite.com/Drill-Steady-Tubing-Tool

A3D326D2-89F8-4D4D-A384-51AE900E92BE.jpeg

Easy to use but a bit expensive for what they are which is a converted pipe grounding clamp but it works and takes away the frustration of trying to drill something round, slippery and hard.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This 2-minute video segment shows all the tools on my boat, and the tool roll-ups that store them. I built into the bin behind the bunk cushion-back a horizontal shelf to provide more storage platform. My approach to tool storage on the 32-3 is here.

Last edited:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
A regular favorite--the Harbor Freight multi-screwdriver. I must own 6 or 8 of these. Just discovered that the larger-sized bit driver is the perfect size for hose clamps.
20230405_220334~2.jpg

Pete the Cat

Member III
A regular favorite--the Harbor Freight multi-screwdriver. I must own 6 or 8 of these. Just discovered that the larger-sized bit driver is the perfect size for hose clamps.View attachment 46549
Actually, I think you will discover that with the bit removed, those screwdrivers have a 5/16ths hex opening which will fit over most standard hose clamp screws. A 5/16 socket on my small Milwaukee driver is my favorite tool for the same purpose. I just bought an electric wrench which may soon replace it as my favorite. Greatly speeds up all sorts of maintenance activities and reaching into impossible places--like the nuts on the bottom of stanchions.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Actually, I think you will discover that with the bit removed, those screwdrivers have a 5/16ths hex opening which will fit over most standard hose clamp screws.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to show in the photo. Wish I had discovered this 3 years ago....

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Awesome video and it really shows how well your boat is maintained. All the lockers your tools are stored in show a side of the boat you don't really see from most posts, but it tells a lot about the condition of the vessel.

dhill

Member III
Awesome video and it really shows how well your boat is maintained. All the lockers your tools are stored in show a side of the boat you don't really see from most posts, but it tells a lot about the condition of the vessel.
Thanks @trickdhat ,

I'm glad you enjoyed the video and appreciate the kind words! I am learning and much inspired by the work you have done on your boat. Your new engine room and plumbing have set the standard for me. I traced through much of my plumbing last year in preparation to do a partial overhaul, which I hope to document. I still need to get some PEX tools.

Thanks!
Dave

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Thanks!

I was surprised to find out the PEX crimps I used were not immune to leaks. I thought crimping was the best solution, but now I'm wondering if Shark Bites (or another equivalent brand) fittings would work just as well. If a toolless fitting works just as well, it may be a better way to go, especially in the tight confined spaces the pluming system runs.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Maybe these have been posted before, or maybe not: Saw this kit at Home Depot the other day for $29. Right-angle drill and driver tools. They have a plastic body but a metal head. Says they are impact-tool rated.

Paired with stubby drill bits (from Amazon), I thought this could be a real help for drilling in tight spaces like bilges, etc.

20231031_132354.jpg Bits.jpg

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Very cool - simple solution for multiple applications!
So, in the OR, when installing ss or titanium screws into bones, how do you avoid dropping them?

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
(I’m retired now.) But to answer your question, each surgical screw driver is designed for one particular size screw head and has a sliding metal clip that engages and holds the head of the screw. There is no universal screw holder.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Here is something I invented over 10 years ago. I patented it … the patent has subsequently expired. I never produced or marketed it, but I have a few samples and often keep one in my pocket. See what you think. Here is a video from 2014:
Universal Screw Holder
Wow! I would have dozens of these on hand if they were available. What a great idea.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Definitely a great idea ! I have used rubber hose in the past but it only works with with a few screw sizes before the hose size gets to big for driver shaft, so very limited.

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
1699808977535.jpeg
This is one variety of screw holder that is used for 2.5mm orthopedic screws. It slides over the driver shaft. We simply slip it down and it grabs the screw head.