• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Trailering Ericson 27

Hillbillywander

I had my sights set on an E27 until recently I became aware of the back portion of the keel being hollow. My plan is to keep the boat on a trailer in the yard during the summer months and trailer it to the Keys for winter. I am thinking that launching the boat and retrieving it by trailer could be a issue with the hollow portion of the keel. Problem being if I get weight on the hollow portion of the keel it would just bust. Am I right in my thinking? Thoughts?

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Launching off trailer?

Unless you have a very steep ramp going into very deep water you're not going to be able to launch and retrieve directly from the trailer. My trailered 73' was always off and on loaded with a travel lift at the marina.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Around here, everyone (!) avoids launching and recovering with a trailer in corrosive salt water and uses a public sling lift. We have these in several public launch areas in Oregon and Washington, and while they do cost a little, the trailer will last a Lot longer.

Loren

Last edited:

Hillbillywander

Good Points

I do have a 10' extension on my trailer to allow me to get into deeper water. Still I agree it will not work with all ramps. As for the salt water bath, I really need to get more education on this. Totally agree with the salt rusting the trailer faster. However, we run vehicles on roads covered in salt every winter that soaks the underbelly of the car doesn't it? Kinda same thing? What about using water hose to rinse off the trailer after you splash the boat? I did this a couple years ago at the Beer Cruise in Florida seemed to do ok.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I do have a 10' extension on my trailer to allow me to get into deeper water. Still I agree it will not work with all ramps. As for the salt water bath, I really need to get more education on this. Totally agree with the salt rusting the trailer faster. However, we run vehicles on roads covered in salt every winter that soaks the underbelly of the car doesn't it? Kinda same thing? What about using water hose to rinse off the trailer after you splash the boat? I did this a couple years ago at the Beer Cruise in Florida seemed to do ok.

I used to launch and retrieve once in a great while in Puget Sound, and would wash off the trailer well back home.
Just remember that you are not "splashing" salt water on the trailer but rather submerging it.... frame rail interiors, brakes, lights and wiring, and etc.
Rinsing off the visible parts later is good, but the damage is really going to be where you cannot see it readily.

Loren

dt222

Member III
In addition to the other comments (and to address the hollow portion of the keel), anytime that the keel is going to be supported- whether on a trailer or on the hard with blocks, you just need to make sure that the keel is supported on the solid portion of the keel, not the hollow portion. Not sure where that is? Just knock and listen.

Don

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
... But a lot of people just fill in the hollow section with concrete or something. You still probably shouldn't be trying to set the boat on the skinny end of the blade.

There are a few members who trailer-launch E27 and E29's. Probably requires a custom trailer and just the right ramp.

I recall back in the 90's some friends who often invited me out on their 26-er trailer launched once or twice. But after that, they always went to the travel lift. :rolleyes:

Hillbillywander

Thanks for the advise guys! After some questions and a little research I am more hopeful for a E27 again maybe even a E29! On average what kind of money are we talking about launch and retrieve a boat?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks for the advise guys! After some questions and a little research I am more hopeful for a E27 again maybe even a E29! On average what kind of money are we talking about launch and retrieve a boat?

Puget Sound in Washington state is far from your waters, but the municipal sling launch at one city there that I found on line was a little under $29. one way.
http://portofedmonds.org/wp-content/uploads/2016-Marina-Operations-Fees-04-01-16.pdf

You need to do research for the areas where you might want to launch. Google should be helpful...

Loren

ps: here's another example, for a harbor near the mouth of the Columbia on the WA side. They have a yard with travelift, and also a ramp and sling launch for smaller boat. Looks like maybe $35. one way.
http://www.portofilwaco.com/boatyard-hoist-rates/

pps: when you launch with the slings, you have to move away and step your own mast.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author

Here you have to be careful, and it may depend on supply and demand in a particular area. The best thing is to call up a couple of places and ask for a quote.
There is one fee to haul or launch the boat - often around $400 in these parts. If they're just hauling it out to sit in their yard, that's all there is. But if you're going to haul the boat away...
Then there's another fee to step or de-step the mast. (And more if they tune it for you.) (HOW could it possibly take that kid an hour and a half, at yard rates, to unscrew eight turnbuckles?)
Then there's what they call a "trailer fitting fee" for the time spent making small adjustments to get the boat sitting just right on the trailer.
Oh, and did the yard manager come out of the office to shake your hand? Yeah, I'm pretty sure there's a fee for that too.

Well, in short, I've seen (power) boats roll up and get launched in a few minutes for a couple of hundred bucks. But after all of the above, I got soaked for more than a thousand to have my boat hauled out and put on the trailer. Maybe half that much to have it put back in.

davisr

Member III
I would say that the authority on trailering and trailer-launching the E29 is Randy Rutledge. He would probably say that an E27 would be no prob.

Roscoe

Hillbillywander

I would say that the authority on trailering and trailer-launching the E29 is Randy Rutledge. He would probably say that an E27 would be no prob.

Roscoe
Pretty sure I meet Randy on the Beer Cruise on the sv Shakedown. Would love to talk to him about trailering his E29. I remember him talking about trailering a big boat and thought he was crazy for doing so. Seems there is on about 700 lbs difference between the 27 and 29.According to another thread he floats his boat on and off the trailer and pulls it with a 1500. Pulling a 29 would not bother me but no way with a 1500 truck. If anybody knows him tell him to drop me a line. Tried sending him a pm but said it was full.
Anyways after reading his posts he has got me wanting a 29 now. Not sure if I want to bit off that much.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Marina Charges

Around here the charge is by footage and whether or not they have to step or un-step the mast. I do all of the prep work and it costs me $148 in and $148 out. The end of the season out includes pressure washing the bottom before it goes on the trailer.

Hillbillywander

Around here the charge is by footage and whether or not they have to step or un-step the mast. I do all of the prep work and it costs me $148 in and $148 out. The end of the season out includes pressure washing the bottom before it goes on the trailer.
Ouch! That could get expensive.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Charges

If you rent a slip from the marina those charges are included in the rental fee. I keep my boat at an independent mooring. My only seasonal costs are in and out with the travel lift.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Puget Sound in Washington state is far from your waters, but the municipal sling launch at one city there that I found on line was a little under $29. one way.
http://portofedmonds.org/wp-content/uploads/2016-Marina-Operations-Fees-04-01-16.pdf

Yeah, it varies. a few miles north of Edmonds, the port of Everett gets $4/foot for a one-way trip on the travelift ($120 for a 30-foot boat)

And then the boomtruck to step a mast is $90 per half-hour (1/2-hour minimum)

So, you'd be looking at $200 to put your boat in the water and step the rig here.

Closer to Seattle (eg, CSR or Seaview), the costs can be significantly higher.

http://www.portofeverett.com/home/showdocument?id=6446

olsenjohn

John Olsen
Blogs Author
I used to launch and retrieve once in a great while in Puget Sound, and would wash off the trailer well back home.
Just remember that you are not "splashing" salt water on the trailer but rather submerging it.... frame rail interiors, brakes, lights and wiring, and etc.
Rinsing off the visible parts later is good, but the damage is really going to be where you cannot see it readily.

Loren

Completely agree. For years I only launched my Starwind 19 into fresh water lakes, and the painted trailer was sound and never had any problems even though it was 20 years old. The first time I took it to Florida and launched the boat for a week in salt water I ran into trouble. On the trip home to North Carolina the trailer lights failed. A quick inspection of the lights showed the sockets and wire connections green and corroded way beyond anything I had every seen from years of fresh water use. We ended up sitting in the dark in a Walmart parking lot changing out the entire lighting system by flashlight. Ugh.

After a few more years of trailering it to the ocean and launching it we noticed rusty water and stains under the trailer in the garage. A little investigation showed it coming from the drain holes in the frame, and when I pushed up on the bottom of the frame cross members it collapsed under my fingers with pieces of rusty metal coming out. A few hits with a hammer showed the frame was in bad shape ready to break apart. We ended up having to cut out the cross members and weld in new ones. Longer term the same problem will happen, someday I need to buy a new galvanized trailer.

The trailer for my Ericson 25 is hot dip galvanized, with only C channel and no enclosed areas. Hopefully it will last a lot longer. Definitely would not recommend dipping painted, closed frame trailers into salt water!!!

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I used a painted trailer for 20 years for a San Juan 26 before it rusted out. The boat was kept on the trailer and ramped launched. Not difficult with the right mods to the boat and trailer. The boat has never had bottom paint. It was replaced with an anodized aluminum trailer from Trailex. Corrosion problem solved. The trailer is also 1,000lbs lighter than the steel one and a lot stiffer. Disc brakes help a lot with the maintenance of the trailer. With steel and galvanized steel trailers, maintenance is paramount and religious washing after salt water immersion.

As far as launch and recovery, The keel should not be supporting much of the weight. The bunks are the primary support. when the trailer is angled on the ramp, the boat is floated onto the trailer and the boat settles onto the bunks as it is pulled out and orients properly to the trailer. A tongue extension is required here. Also a real tow truck. In this case, a 1/2 ton pickup is a wimpy vehicle.

I have watched quite large keel boats being launched here and, when done right, it is quite simple. The secret is a properly set up trailer and a steep enough ramp. :egrin:

Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Stepping the mast

Who needs a crane to step a mast on a E29. Make a hinge plate for the mast step per the drawings in the E27 documents and use the boom as a gin pole, I also have a 15 ft pole with a winch that I use to assist the first 45 degrees of lift after that it is easy to bring the mast up the rest of the way. The trailer is set up to float on with a extension for launching 8 ft sections up to 32 feet, at our club on Lake Weiss I use 24 feet of extension to get the 7 ft of depth at the axels needed to launch.

The GMC 1500 is minimal but has made the 350 mile trip to and from Mobile five times with the boat, Travel lift launches are a must at most ramps due to not having enough depth to launch.019_19.jpg026_26.jpg

olsenjohn

John Olsen
Blogs Author
Fantastic Mast Stepping Randy!

I love the pictures of you stepping your E29 mast and that you launch it from a trailer. I belong to a local sailing club and my friends have been very skeptical about my being able to launch and retrieve the E25CB at 6,000lbs fully loaded when I finish her restoration. As well as realistically being able to step the mast myself. They mean it in good humor, but they frequently joke about my intention to dry sail a 6,000lb 25' mini yacht.

You have renewed my confidence in my plan! I needed it and I love it! If you can do it with an E29, then I can certainly do it with a 25 that was designed to be launched that way. More power to you!

Last edited: