• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Trailering Ericson 27

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Speaking of "small yachts".....
I may have mentioned this before, but twice in the decade that we owned our Niagara 26, I lowered & raised our mast while at the dock. Hinged base plate was stock, and we used the spinnaker pole on the forward end and lowered it aft. What with port and starboard support lines for both spar and the "gin pole' there was a lot of line to adjust as the geometry changed going up and down. It was a two man job. I built a padded support on the stern rail and another support for the bow pulpit to rest it on after we moved the horizontal spar forward. Heavy and awkward (34', un-tapered spar) but no harm and no injuries.

Even tho I was decades younger and slightly stronger then, I probably should have really gone to the board yard for that work!
:rolleyes:
At least, smart or not, I had the choice to make, not being somewhere with no crane or travelift.

Loren

davisr

Member III
So Randy . . . I'm curious about your towing of your E29 those long distances with your GMC 1500. If you don't mind me asking . . . what size is your engine and have you made any modifications to your transmission?

I ask because I have a 2003 Toyota Sequoia with a 4.7 liter V8. This vehicle does fine towing the boat locally and pulling her out of the water at the ramp. I'm hesitant, though, to take her on a long road trip for fear that I would ruin the transmission. I've long assumed that a Chevy/GMC 2500 or a Ford 250 or one of the newer Toyota Tundras would be necessary for that.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Roscoe

supersailor

Contributing Partner
The 2003 Sequoia was rated by Toyota for a towing capacity of 5,700 lbs. Some have upgraded it to 6,200 to 6,500lbs. The problem here is not engine (kinda wimpy) or tranny (cooling can be added) but brake size and frame. The 27 has a base weight of 6,600lbs, add 2,000lbs for the trailer and about 1,500lbs for fuel, water, gear, food etc. and you are at about 10,000lbs. This is a serious load behind the vehicle. Given that boat trailer brakes are always questionable, the tow vehicle needs to be able to stop the whole load. Should you crash with this load, your Insurance Company would be right in questioning your judgement. It can be done but it is not a real good idea. I always use a tow vehicle with a reserve towing capacity for these reasons.

Last edited:

davisr

Member III
The 2003 Sequoia was rated by Toyota for a towing capacity of 5,700 lbs. Some have upgraded it to 6,200 to 6,500lbs. The problem here is not engine (kinda wimpy) or tranny (cooling can be added) but brake size and frame. The 27 has a base weight of 6,600lbs, add 2,000lbs for the trailer and about 1,500lbs for fuel, water, gear, food etc. and you are at about 10,000lbs. This is a serious load behind the vehicle. Given that boat trailer brakes are always questionable, the tow vehicle needs to be able to stop the whole load. Should you crash with this load, your Insurance Company would be right in questioning your judgement. It can be done but it is not a real good idea. I always use a tow vehicle with a reserve towing capacity for these reasons.

I hear you. That's why I asked Randy about his towing of his E29 with a GMC 1500. In my response, where I made reference to my Sequoia and my local towing of my own boat, I should have mentioned that I have an E25, not an E27. Your 10,000 lbs estimate for the E27 is probably accurate. The estimate for the E25 is as high as 9,000 lbs. Here's a thread that I initiated in 2009 on this subject.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...railering-weight&p=51551&highlight=#post51551

You'll notice that a certain E25 owner speaks of towing his E25 with a Ford 150. There's another E25 owner I know of who towed his E25 with an F150 some 500 miles. That's why I really curious to know how Randy tows his E29 with a GMC 1500 such long distances. Seems like it would be really tough.

Roscoe

supersailor

Contributing Partner
It's hard on the truck and the driver. It's easy to get a load going. Not so easy to stop it. Lots of distance needed behind the car ahead. Difficult to do in aggressive areas like San Francisco. My E-350 Diesel has monster brakes. As brakes get hot, they fade. Small brakes get hot fast.

The E-25 is a little easier load. I towed a San Juan 26 for many years. No problems but I did use an E-3500. The brakes were always the prime consideration.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It's hard on the truck and the driver. It's easy to get a load going. Not so easy to stop it. Lots of distance needed behind the car ahead. Difficult to do in aggressive areas like San Francisco. My E-350 Diesel has monster brakes. As brakes get hot, they fade. Small brakes get hot fast.

The E-25 is a little easier load. I towed a San Juan 26 for many years. No problems but I did use an E-3500. The brakes were always the prime consideration.

IF... you do your towing on flat ground, and IF... you can always follow far enough back of the vehicles ahead of you...
a relatively small vehicle can tow quite a load. After all, when you see a 105000# class 8 sleeper cab and trailer going down the hi way, the engine is quite small compared to the whole load. They do have a lot of gear ratios, however, and that's where most civilian trucks come up short.

I recall delivering new 20 foot sailboats on steel boat trailers in 1980, at about 2200# gross, with my Mazda long bed pickup -- five speed two liter gas engine.
Other than long stopping distances, only real challenge was pulling one of those up a launch ramp without frying a clutch.

Lots of modern heavier pickups might haul an E-25, albeit with planning and prep. Bigger truck would be better, but sometimes you just have to do with what you have. :rolleyes:

Nowadays even "small" trucks have a lot more capability than they used to have. And then, the average so-called half ton these days is kind of a behemoth compared to the ones in the 70's. As Bob sez, look for braking ability.

Best of luck finding a towing solution.
Loren

davisr

Member III
It's been years since I've seen these. Can't believe I found them. How would you gauge this guy's breaking ability with this load?

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Overload_001.jpg
    Overload_001.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Overload_002.jpg
    Overload_002.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Overload_003.jpg
    Overload_003.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 50

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Killed the tranny

I killed the tranny at 215 K miles, I backed a trailer up hill with a 6K boat that had surge brakes and did not lock out the brakes, a couple days later reverse went out.

The truck is a 2000 GMC 1500 extended cab, 5.3 V8, towing pkg and heavier rear springs. This combo is rated at 10k I am told. the 29 and trailer is about 11500.

If you are towing like this 60 mph, follow a large distance back, and plan to be exhausted. The trip is harder on the driver than the truck. I use electric brakes on my trailer and often only use trailer brakes by using the panic button to apply braking.

I have never said I enjoy towing a boat of that size, I do it because that is what I have. One more trip to the coast with GittinAir the first of September and I should be through towing on long trips like that since she will be kept on the coast.

Zbingham

Member I
People often overlook the weight ratings of individual components in their system. Pay attention to the weight capacity of the hitch on the vehicle, trailer axles, tires (on trailer and vehicle), trailer couplers, receiver hitch ball mounts, hitch balls, etc. Just because it all fits together doesn't mean it can handle the weight. Remember to think about the safety of your passengers and everyone else on the road when you go towing. I've seen some crazy stuff...just like that 5th wheel towing blazer. Haha.