• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Trans for a M25-XP

hdlEric

Member III
I have to replace my ZF10M transmission, which is hooked to a Universal M-25XP. I need opinions please!! I am considering a PRM60 (PRM Newage), and a Twindisc TMC 40P (also referred to as a MG-340).
Does anybody have any experience with either unit, and will either bolt up to my engine, or do I have to make modifications? I did have to move my engine forward to get the ZF 10M in. I am also going to install a flex coupling to the shaft, so I don't blow another trans.
Thanks so much for any help.
Howard

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I have to replace my ZF10M transmission, which is hooked to a Universal M-25XP. I need opinions please!! I am considering a PRM60 (PRM Newage), and a Twindisc TMC 40P (also referred to as a MG-340).
Does anybody have any experience with either unit, and will either bolt up to my engine, or do I have to make modifications? I did have to move my engine forward to get the ZF 10M in. I am also going to install a flex coupling to the shaft, so I don't blow another trans.
Howard
Hi,
I have the Twin Disc MG340 on our E30+, with a 16 hp universal diesel engine. It was installed in 2009 to replace a slipping Hurth 50 transmission.
The twin disc came highly recommended due to its cone technology. It slipped occasionally at first, but has rarely done so since, only if the engine alignment is off a bit.
I have put about 1800 engine hours on it since installation, and would likely replace it with the same tranny if needed.
Frank

JSM

Member III
I also have a M25xp with a Hurth trans. A few years back I thought the Hurth was going and did some research on the twin disc option. I talked with the Beta Marine folks in North Carolina and found them to be very helpful. They also recommended installing a new damper plate.

Attachments

• CONVERSION FROM ZF 5M (HURTH HBW 50) TO TMC 40.pdf
    343.9 KB · Views: 10

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Howard

I’ve written a lot about replacing my old Hurth transmission with a Twindisc TMC 40 and other modifications to the heat exchanger. So the best thing I can do is direct you to the beginning of that thread. Here’s the link: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/transmission-problems-again-the-saga-continues.15738/