• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

transducer location

jimk

Member II
i looking for the transducer on a 1987 E38200. i suspect it may be leaking but i,m not sure of the location from inside the boat.

Glyn Judson

Transducer location.

Jim, If your boat is like most all others, the transducer can be located in any of several places. Follow the data wire from the back of the display and it'll take you right to it. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA.

look under v-berth

We have the same year/model. Our speed & depth transducers are under the v-berth. Access is thru the 4th (bottom) drawer front on the face of the berth, or under the cushion thru the first compartment on the port side.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We have a different model, but Ericson may have used a similar location for transducers....
Our factory installed ones were/are under the V berth, with the speed paddle wheel on one side of center by a couple inches, and the DS on the other side by the same amount.

We have to remove the drawers to really get access and pull either one out and put the plug in.

BTW, our newer ST60 instruments have the self-sealing transducers with the plastic internal hinged flap stopper. It seeps water until you put in the plug, but sure beats having a fountain over a foot in the air when the transducer is pulled!

:)

Loren

Mikebat

Member III
BTW, our newer ST60 instruments have the self-sealing transducers with the plastic internal hinged flap stopper. It seeps water until you put in the plug, but sure beats having a fountain over a foot in the air when the transducer is pulled!

For what it's worth, my TackTick transducer fitting has the same feature, and while the result is not a foot-high fountain, I wouldn't call it "seeping" either. "Babbling" like a brook is more like it.

:egrin:

jimk

Member II
the leak

ok i found the transducer thanks, i was hoping it was located somewhere mid to aft ship on the stardoard side .i'm searching for a leak that seems to be comming from the hull under the shower. i have no way to track the water due to the shower enclouser. all through hulls are closed water tanks drained and water lines drained. the holding tank is now drained and i believe that i'm still getting about a quart per 24 hours in the bilge. also no rain here in 2 weeks. have you had or heard of any one having a simular problem.
thanks
jim

Dferr

Member II
Jim, have you checked to make sure the keel bolts aren't weeping?

Even though you closed the through hulls, are you sure they aren't weeping from around the base?

jimk

Member II
the leak

Don i did check that out if i only allow 10 to 12 hours to go by and i dried off all keel bolts i would have maybe a pint in the bilge directly euder the motor. the bolts remained dried. i can see the drip rinning down the side of the hull on the starboard side where you can adjust the packing for the prop shaft, there is very limited assess here to follow the leak but it is a consistent drip/run down the hull.

jimk

Member II
i have drained it to below the inlet and out lines i suspect there is still a few gallons left but i would of thought after chasing this leak for 2 plus weeks the remainder would have drained out. i do know that the water tank aft does leak it too is drained. do to complete frustration and knowing the water tank need to be removed this weekend all tanks in the starboard lazzeret are coming out. perhaps then i will find the source. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:oops:ffice:oops:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

Dan Morehouse

Member III
Jim,
Since you have eliminated the water tanks as the source, I assume that the water you're seeing tastes salty. Is it possible there is a low spot in a cockpit drain hose that happens to correspond to a corroded hose clamp or damaged joint? On my 1981 E-38 there is a rather long run of cockpit drain hose that has just such a low spot, and I keep the seacock that drains it closed when I'm not on the boat. It is therefore possible that after a rain or washing, fresh water might stay in that line for some time until I opened the seacock...or until it found a leak.

Dan Morehouse
1981 E-38 "Next Exit"

jimk

Member II
I did close the 2 stern seacocks and according to a plumbing diagram on line it shows a scupper line that has a seacock forward under the galley sink. is this correct on your E38 because I cannot find such a line going it that direction or a seacock unless it in the shower cavity which has no access. perhaps when I remove all tanks I may because that makes most sense as a source of the leak, but I'm not sure my boat has that same scupper plumbing. also I'm currently moored in fresh water so its difficult to determine if water is coming from outside or inside the hull.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:oops:ffice:oops:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Thanks<o:p></o:p>
Jim<o:p></o:p>

Dan Morehouse

Member III
Jim,
Yours I think is the newer layout below, with the head aft on starboard and the galley aft on port. Mine is the older layout with the galley aft on starboard and the head forward of the saloon. Mine has four cockpit drains, two outboard and two inboard; the inboard pair discharge under the stern counter via individual seacocks, after their hoses cross in front of the rudder post. But the outboard pair come together in a tee in front of the rudder post, and then run in a single hose all the way forward to a seacock right under the galley sink. It's this longer run that may have the potential to hold rain water if the seacock is closed. This arrangement has been discussed elsewhere on this site, but I don't recall owners of later models detailing the routing of their outboard scupper hoses in those discussions. If yours passes an area where it's inaccessible on its way to its seacock, that may be a potential leak spot. But if that cockpit drain WAS the source of the leak, you would expect it to stop producing water after its limited reservoir was empty.

Dan Morehouse
1981 E-38 "Next Exit"

jimk

Member II
Dan you are right on everything, I going start my removal of tanks tomorrow searching for this annoying leak. I surely hope it doesn't turn out to be something simple and very obvious. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:oops:ffice:oops:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Another question however does you E38 have a plywood skirt in the aft lazzeret that limits access to the rudder post. I had to remove this to gain access to that, along with the seacock's that are for the cockpit scuppers. I'm not sure if a previous owner installed this or if it is a factory piece?<o:p></o:p>

Dan Morehouse

Member III
It's apparently a factory piece. Mine has it too. One of the other E-38 owners on this site actually posted some pics of that partition on his boat. You might try a search to uncover those. I seem to recall the subject under discussion then was about locating a water heater, so maybe a search on the topic of water heaters would turn up the post with the pictures.

Dan Morehouse
1981 E-38 "Next Exit"