• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Transmission Cable Bracket Location

Gline

Member I
Any issues with mounting my cable bracket vertical? The old cable bracket on my HBW 50 was getting rusty so I purchased a new bracket, ZF part number 3307110006 from Harbor Marine. This new bracket has holes for horizontal mounting or vertical. If horizontal, like my old bracket, it can only fit above the lever so it would reverse my controls at the pedestal. Mounting it vertical seems great, but just looks strange as it’s different from how it was before.

Any issues you guys see?

There’s no hard bends in the cable, it holds the cable clear of the heat exchanger and it doesn’t sit near the wet stuffing box (as before). So it seems good to me...

Thnx!

Mark
F512BA21-986B-435A-A37B-146FFAB8A3BE.jpeg
87BA9DC7-CE48-4507-A3CD-4849B8050470.jpegFD48E267-1428-4950-AEEF-C53FB1F7F626.jpeg
5708EEC8-13FE-463B-85DE-F61D801F13F1.jpeg

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Did you find a way to bolt the new bracket to the engine? Should work, as long as the throw of the lever is complete forward and reverse, which is important with these transmissions.

If in doubt you could just paint the old bracket.

Gline

Member I
The new bracket uses the same bolts as the lever housing (not sure that’s what it’s called, but the 4 bolts that are around the lever). The bracket has 2 holes for vertical and 2 different holes for horizontal. I had to find some longer M8 bolts to account for the thickness of the bracket. All in all it seems pretty secure.

I believe the throw is the same as it was before, but I will double check this tomorrow to make sure.

Painting the old bracket is good idea. Even if this new one seems to work, I’d like to have the old one ready to go if something seems wrong.

Gline

Member I
So far, so good. After about 8 hours of use this bracket seems fine. About $80 for the bracket (3307110006) if anyone is interested. However, the original appears a bit more rugged in my opinion.

Gline

Member I
If mounted vertical it does not revere the direction. Just have to adjust position of the shift lever on the transmission, which is simple but takes some adjusting to make sure you get full throw as Christian mentioned above.

This bracket also has 2 bolt holes to be used for horizontal mounting, but when horizontal it only fits above the lever which will reverse the direction. So I just went with the vertical mount.

Gline

Member I
Side note, apparently our transmissions are upside down. Is this even possible? According to the guys at Harbor Marine (who seem to know a bunch about Hurth/ZF trans) on most boats these transmissions are mounted with the lever on port side. Which is why this bracket in the horizontal position reverses the transmission controls on our upside down transmissions. I’m not confident this is true, but seems to make sense.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I imagine you can mount the shift lever on the transmission sticking up or sticking down. No?

If down, controls aren't reversed. At least for me.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
AFAIK, the transmission only mounts onto the bell housing one way. That's why the dip stick on the Hurth is on "top."

The shifting lever is pressed onto a spline shaft and just has to rotate that shaft the correct way, whether the cable approach is from above or behind.