Transmission linkage

DiamondDealer

Member II
We had some excitement on our '70 E-39 while moving her to a new slip, and I've been trying to figure out what's what. Power is an Atomic 4. It turns out the problem is that the transmission linkage cable slipped out of the sheath near engine so it couldn't properly engage the clutch for forward. We used zip ties to secure it in place and so far it's working. I'm curious if any of you have had the same problem, and how you took care of it.

Thanks much
 

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The control cables usually have a specific clamp at each end to hold the cable casing while allowing the wire inside it to move.

On the underside of the clamp fitting in this photo is a raised bump (not visible) . The transverse bump fits into the slot of the cable casing (seen below it), and if well secured holds it against the movement of the wire. If the cable casing isn't secured, the cable doesn't work.

The other end of the cable also has a casing attachment, usually held by a set screw. To work on that the top of the pedestal has to come off.

detail of shifter cable clamp.JPG...shifter cable clamp.JPG
 

DiamondDealer

Member II
That's it exactly! Thanks much for the reply. It appears we've lost that clamp fitting, so I'll just need to hit the hardware store and buy one that'll fit? So much better than what we feared!

BTW, I've gotta say that I'm really impressed by this Atomic 4. It reminds me of working on my old VW bug back in the day, or even my antique tractors. I still dislike the 2 blade folding prop, but the engine is great.
 

DiamondDealer

Member II
Non sequitur but I just recently read your Philosophy of Sailing and really enjoyed it, both for the sailing and philosophical musings. Very good book.
 

TAPH2O

Member II
We had some excitement on our '70 E-39 while moving her to a new slip, and I've been trying to figure out what's what. Power is an Atomic 4. It turns out the problem is that the transmission linkage cable slipped out of the sheath near engine so it couldn't properly engage the clutch for forward. We used zip ties to secure it in place and so far it's working. I'm curious if any of you have had the same problem, and how you took care of it.

Thanks much
On my daughters E36c the top screw holding the control cable clamp stripped out and we had to us a hose clamp as a repair the got same size but longer screw and used a nylock nut to tighten it back in place.
After some yelling over the westerbeke/Bukh 20 adjustments were made and linkage bracket at helm tightened seams to function.
 

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If they need to be lubricated they're worn out. Replacements are inexpensive and the improvement, everyone agrees, is remarkable. New control cables are butter-smooth.
 

TAPH2O

Member II
Here are Papillons’
 

Attachments

  • FD0CAEDD-85B7-43FC-88DC-8832A0F93F66.jpeg
    FD0CAEDD-85B7-43FC-88DC-8832A0F93F66.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 13

peaman

Member III
Where do you find these rod actuators. From what i can see it is a rod inside a housing.
It should be a cable commonly referred to as "Teleflex"
If you examine your cable housing closely, you should see a model number which will indicate the actual length. The image below shows a cable I recently replaced, which was 144" or 12 feet long. (I replaced it with one much shorter.) I found the model number very close to one end of the cable, so you may need to remove it in order to get the correct information.
 

Attachments

  • 726D2006-056A-4716-BA0F-6B79E88C9355_1_201_a.jpeg
    726D2006-056A-4716-BA0F-6B79E88C9355_1_201_a.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 6
Top