• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Transmission problems? [Hurth Transmission]

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Engine warm, running good... put into gear lugges it off?
Tried many times... Turned off and went sailing.
E-38 1982, with 4cly 40 universal, what transmission?
If it's the 100 I read it's only good for so many hours.
Hard to rebuild or get parts in Nicaragua. Any ideas?
Thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am puzzled , also.
If.. the engine lugs down and dies when put into gear, I would suspect a line might be wrapped around the prop!
:(

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
A rope around the prop, or similar obstruction, could cause this. But I'm guessing it's not the transmission, but rather putting a load on the engine that is causing it to die. I'm guessing it's an air in the lines or fuel problem of some kind.
To test my hypothesis, you could run at slow idle at the dock, put it in gear but keep idle unchanged, and if it runs ok with no gear slippage, increase idle slowly, listening for gear slippage. If the gear sounds fine and engine dies at higher revs, I think it confirms my hypothesis.
Good luck, and let us know what you find.
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When we get a problem where we cannot really see or experience it first hand, I always causes me to recall the parable about the wise men and the elephant...
:)

I know it's all serious philosophy, but way back in school I recall irreverently wondering what happened when the 6th (!) blind wise man approached from the rear... and touched ... something... and was promptly stomped to death! :(